Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take to study for the theory test?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am due to start my driving lessons soon and was just wondering how long it takes to study for the theory. For example from the day of the first lesson to the day your theory test is..

Will it be when my driving instructor suggests a date for me or is it when I feel ready myself?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    not long if you have a bit of common sense.

if you studied it hardcore for 2 days i am sure u would be fine

they have added the video in since mine so a few lessons would help with that and udnerstanding hazards

its worh reading the highway code before u start lessons so u understand what road signs and markings mean.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like a day shorty, 9 times out of 10 its common sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A couple of days should do it. Get one of those cd rom thingys that have questions and practice tests, go through that and you should be ok.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    CD roms are definately the best.
    My driving instructor supplied me with one...else you can buy them from WHSmiths or other book shops etc.
    Only took me a few goes on the computer, and I passed the theory first time.
    Most of it is common sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1 week is enough for anyone to pass - book it first, then revise
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's very possible to study in 2 days, like someone said. You should get an up to date copy of the official DSA CD, I think I'm right in saying that they take the questions from there. I only got one question wrong after two days of study using that CD
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it probably helps to have a little driving experience for the hazard perception, so you have the mindset of looking for things which could get in your way.

As for the actual theory part, it's not hard at all to get full marks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't take any time at all to prepare for the theory test if you learn the stuff properly, you're moderately intelligent and you have a bit of common sense. I did mine before I'd ever driven, passed fairly comfortably first time, and spent no more than maybe 4 to 6 hours (spread over a few weeks) actively working towards it. Don't stress about it too much.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2007
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.