The Student Room Group

Chemistry aqa New spec

So I'm looking for a revision guide for chemistry but I cant find the one for the New spec, can someone please give me a link on amazon or something because i don't know what it looks like?
Reply 1
Original post by Daniel718
So I'm looking for a revision guide for chemistry but I cant find the one for the New spec, can someone please give me a link on amazon or something because i don't know what it looks like?

Hi,

The guide I used when I was revising for AQA A level chemistry were the collins revision books. They are releasing an updated revision guide for the new spec. I think the guides are very useful and act as a good revision tool and would highly recommend them. Here is a link to them. Hope this helps and if you have any questions about A level chemistry feel free to ask. :smile:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Student-Support-Materials-Collins/dp/0008180784/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467404247&sr=8-4&keywords=collins+aqa+chemistry+a+level*
Reply 2
Original post by 06shawm
Hi,

The guide I used when I was revising for AQA A level chemistry were the collins revision books. They are releasing an updated revision guide for the new spec. I think the guides are very useful and act as a good revision tool and would highly recommend them. Here is a link to them. Hope this helps and if you have any questions about A level chemistry feel free to ask. :smile:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Student-Support-Materials-Collins/dp/0008180784/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467404247&sr=8-4&keywords=collins+aqa+chemistry+a+level*

Thank you so much for giving me the link, and I wanted to ask:

How do you revise for A level chemistry?
Is it anything like GCSE?
What are useful methods for revision which help you not forget everything?
What do I need to know about A level chemistry before i go into A levels?

Thanks a lot!!!
Reply 3
Thank you so much for giving me the link, and I wanted to ask:

How do you revise for A level chemistry?
Is it anything like GCSE?
What are useful methods for revision which help you not forget everything?
What do I need to know about A level chemistry before i go into A levels?

Thanks a lot!!!

Not a problem.*

My advice for AQA chem:
- Past papers absolutely key for A/A*. I know they have changed to linear but after looking at the spec papers the actual content is very similar to the old spec but there is new additional content. This means you have loads of past papers to use for revision at your disposal.
- A great website I would recommend also is ishttp://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk they also have a page dedicated to the new spec.

I revised for A level chemistry mostly through reading and learning notes then practising with the past papers. I know it sounds simple but that is honestly the way I revise. I'm not really the flashcard type. The nelson thornes books are the ones my sixth form teacher used to teach most of the content. The website I mentioned above is fantastic. Things fit together quite easily with a level chemistry therefore getting high grades is all about exam technique. I quite liked the AQA a level chemistry papers. I found them relatively simple and easy to revise from.*

I was under the old spec a level and I personally found if you did C3 in triple science GCSE (I did edexcel board) you were at a definitive advantage for the first few months of AS chemistry.*

Try and read ahead as much as possible. Learn the basic principles well and then you can build upon that knowledge. I would say you need a very good memory since you need to learn quite a few chemical equations and know when to use and apply these. Providing you could easily cope with GCSE chemistry the jump is not that big for the first few months. Obviously the A2 topics are more difficult but like I've already mentioned; as long as you understand the basics you can apply the more difficult content on top of this.*
Reply 4
Original post by 06shawm
Not a problem.*

My advice for AQA chem:
- Past papers absolutely key for A/A*. I know they have changed to linear but after looking at the spec papers the actual content is very similar to the old spec but there is new additional content. This means you have loads of past papers to use for revision at your disposal.
- A great website I would recommend also is ishttp://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk they also have a page dedicated to the new spec.

I revised for A level chemistry mostly through reading and learning notes then practising with the past papers. I know it sounds simple but that is honestly the way I revise. I'm not really the flashcard type. The nelson thornes books are the ones my sixth form teacher used to teach most of the content. The website I mentioned above is fantastic. Things fit together quite easily with a level chemistry therefore getting high grades is all about exam technique. I quite liked the AQA a level chemistry papers. I found them relatively simple and easy to revise from.*

I was under the old spec a level and I personally found if you did C3 in triple science GCSE (I did edexcel board) you were at a definitive advantage for the first few months of AS chemistry.*

Try and read ahead as much as possible. Learn the basic principles well and then you can build upon that knowledge. I would say you need a very good memory since you need to learn quite a few chemical equations and know when to use and apply these. Providing you could easily cope with GCSE chemistry the jump is not that big for the first few months. Obviously the A2 topics are more difficult but like I've already mentioned; as long as you understand the basics you can apply the more difficult content on top of this.*

Wow your tips are so good, again thanks a lot everything was very useful. And just to clarify the revision guide on the link is for the new spec, right?
Original post by 06shawm
Not a problem.*

My advice for AQA chem:

i agree with his advice wholeheartedly but also if your stuck on a topic dont b afraid to go to your teachers or use any resource if the book is not explaining it clearly enough youtube etc. but pass papers are key like you said
Reply 6
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
i agree with his advice wholeheartedly but also if your stuck on a topic dont b afraid to go to your teachers or use any resource if the book is not explaining it clearly enough youtube etc. but pass papers are key like you said

Thank you for your advice, do you recommend any Youtube channels?
Thank you for your advice, do you recommend any Youtube channels?

e rintoul idk though depends

Quick Reply