The Student Room Group

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail?

Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AsapRocky
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, that has never crossed my mind. Maybe because I am too busy asking where the sugar is.
No. Mostly because I'm used to seeing them - especially in supermarkets and the like, it's mostly over 30s who work there.

And I don't really care much for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No... i think "good on yer cobber"

it is far better to do an honest day's work than to sit watching telly all day waiting for the next giro.*
Original post by the bear
No... i think "good on yer cobber"

it is far better to do an honest day's work than to sit watching telly all day waiting for the next giro.*

Stacking tinned items is not an honest days work.
Reply 5
No cause I'm not a Jeremy Hunt.
I look down on 30 plus year olds on minimum wage.
An adult cannot survive on a minimum wage
No, absolutely not.

I don't know their personal circumstances.

My dad works in retail due to circumstances that happened early on in life, and he thoroughly enjoys his job. He also has a degree in Business and French, so is by no means uneducated.
To be honest I'm part of the metropolitan elite so I not only look down on them but think they are racist for complaining about immigrants.
No. I work in retail as a part-time job and plan to continue it through university for extra funds, and quite a few people who work in my store actually have degrees. Therefore, the stereotype everyone who works in retail are uneducated is untrue.
Reply 10
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I not only look down on them but think they are racist for complaining about immigrants.

Lol how do you work that out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the age of 30 you shouldn't be earning anything less than £75,000- £100,000 in a year, so yeah I do look down on them
To be honest I'm part of the metropolitan elite so I not only look down on them but think they are racist for complaining about immigrants.

You do not have any association with the metropolitan elite.
Reply 13
Original post by Blue_Mason
I look down on 30 plus year olds on minimum wage.
An adult cannot survive on a minimum wage

Disgusting. Not everyone can be highrollers, if anything you should curse the company paying minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does complaining about immigrants have to do with your salary or looking down on somebody?

I know people richer than you'll ever be that complain about Immigrants (Donald trump)
Like someone above has said, I never really think about it. I'm too busy worrying about meeting my own needs in the store. So I don't judge/look down on store staff simply because I don't waste my time on it.
Original post by Playmaker#10
At the age of 30 you shouldn't be earning anything less than £75,000- £100,000 in a year, so yeah I do look down on them

You would be lucky if you were earning at least £60,000 by the age of 30.

at the big tesco near me the and checkout operators largely are immigrants, mabe the stackers too - never have as much reason to talk to them tbh.
Original post by Raizelcadres
You would be lucky if you were earning at least £60,000 by the age of 30.

I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30
Original post by Playmaker#10
I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30

Props to them but not everyone can pull that off, people usually take go uni and than start a job with a salary of 20k-27k or more. I know someone thats a chemical engineer, aged 46 and earns around 70k.

Quick Reply

Latest