The Student Room Group

Why is the IQ so low in Saudia Arabia (84)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Not every Saudi is literally waving his sword in the air preaching death to the West.

Most would do in a heartbeat. But continue to peddle the "Not all Saudis" line.*

Incidentally, if I were in Saudi now I could well be in jail facing a lengthy sentence and lashes with a whip. Just because I happen to be am atheist. But I'm being offensive and ignorant because I object to that culture? Ok cupcake, whatever you say.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Most would do in a heartbeat. But continue to peddle the "Not all Saudis" line.*

Incidentally, if I were in Saudi now I could well be in jail facing a lengthy sentence and lashes with a whip. Just because I happen to be am atheist. But I'm being offensive and ignorant because I object to that culture? Ok cupcake, whatever you say.

lol I hope you're joking. Have you ever met a Saudi?
Original post by Trapz99
lol I hope you're joking. Have you ever met a Saudi?

You don't need to have met one to think this. They are bred and raised to flow their religious conservative laws. Anyone who doesn't is below them and gets what's coming to them. It's a rancid country with a rancid culture. *
Because intelligence is both genetically and environmentally determined. Environmentally, they're worse off.
arabs...it figures.
Reply 125
Original post by oShahpo
How exactly? Beliefs can lead to selection of the least intelligent, hence reducing the IQ of a country, but I am genuinely interested in how belief in religion leads to such selection.

This is true, but I am not sure islam has been around long enough to make such a massive difference. However, in the UK for example the Pakistani community has serious problems with inbreeding and genetic defects. Not sure if it's islam related though.
I think that, ultimately, the Saudi situation comes down to language differences. People go into an IQ test but due to a quirk in Arabic/English translation, they are prepared for a urine test instead.
Reply 127
Because all they need to do is drill a hole in the ground to get their wealth they dont do anything else really..
Reply 128
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I agree that the Flynn effect and influences of socioeconomic background are important factors likely explaining these disparities, but that is not the point she is making. She genuinely thinks that intelligence is somehow a cultural variable as if each culture has its own definition of intelligence and that abstract testing has cultural biases.
Emotional intelligence isn't a thing any more than being good in bed means you have sexual intelligence.

I don't see how a question like this is culturally biased?

This is what modern IQ tests are like. Older ones are not so good - especially when comparing countries.
Original post by cipi
I don't see how a question like this is culturally biased?

This is what modern IQ tests are like. Older ones are not so good - especially when comparing countries.

It's not, people who are left-wing and want to appear intelligent meme that ''cultural biases'' prejudice the results.
Original post by minjinoor
funny, it's as if those great Muslim philosophers, mathematicians and scientists never existed...

funny its almost as if they were from 100s of years ago and Muslim popular culture is full of terrorists, anti gay and mysoginistic view. strange huh?
Original post by Razamataz666
funny its almost as if they were from 100s of years ago and Muslim popular culture is full of terrorists, anti gay and mysoginistic view. strange huh?

however repulsive those things are, they still don't undermine the achievements and enlightenment achieved in the Muslim era, and those of the normal Muslim population who go about their daily lives harmlessly... and i'd like to remind you that corruption and bigotry is not exclusive to the Middle East; you need not look very far to find it - just watch Fox News :biggrin:
Original post by Zygomaticus
Whilst the origins may not be Arab/Muslim, their contribution to the field cannot be undermined?

i think its easier to convince those with low iq that 'islamic golden age' was responsible for algebra, trigonometry etc etc.
even if you aknowledge that fallacy, youd have to accpet that those main players in that era where not arabs at all but in fact persians and syrians many of whom were from zoastrian and christian families that had simply converted later to islam for political and financial benefit
Reply 133
Original post by Bill_Gates
Why is the IQ so low in Saudia Arabia (84)?

it's one of the richest nations in the world in terms of oil, GDP per capita has more than doubled yet IQ has remained around the same at 84?

70 IQ is seen to be retarded.

Surely with more money = better education, better nutrition = higher IQ

let me tell you something i live in saudi and im surrounded by a school here (both my parents work in one and ive worked in it and my brothers attend it) and the kids here are sooooo clever.
Original post by mkap
let me tell you something i live in saudi and im surrounded by a school here (both my parents work in one and ive worked in it and my brothers attend it) and the kids here are sooooo clever.

lol so how do they end up with an IQ of 84 as adults eh?!
Doesn't surprise me, also lol at people saying it's because of Islam and backwards beliefs like there aren't millions of high IQ Muslims out there.

Even more lol at the guy that said IQ isn't a good indicator of intelligence.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
Doesn't surprise me, also lol at people saying it's because of Islam and backwards beliefs like there aren't millions of high IQ Muslims out there.

Even more lol at the guy that said IQ isn't a good indicator of intelligence.

If you want to succeed academically you have to at least partially ignore your religious text

In places where that book is regarded as a sound basis for law, it's not surprising that many dislike doing so
document.documentElement.className = document.documentElement.className.replace( /(^|\s)client-nojs(\s|$)/, "$1client-js$2" );Ashkenazi Jew average IQ 115
;Ashkenazi Jew average IQ 115
Reply 139
Original post by thunder_chunky

I'm a Saudi; I was born there and I lived there for the first 13 years of my life. I can guarantee that the vast majority of people actually wouldn't even think of harming you because you are an atheist. Some people would dislike the the fact that you do not believe in a God and might try to convince you to change your mind. Now, I'm not saying no one there hates the west; at the end of the day it's Saudi Arabia and it has extremists but those people are not the majority.

Have you not heard of the King Abdullah scholarship programme? Thousands of Saudi's, including me, are sent to study abroad. I came to the UK without holding any hate towards the west and so did many others!

I have atheist, christian, hindu and muslim friends and I don't wish to harm someone because of the difference in/ lack of belief and I'm quite sure most Saudi's would have the same opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending