Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to prove eligibility to work in the uk without a passport or birth certificate?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there
    Basically, I left my passport and my birth certificate at uni, and I'm now looking for jobs. I need to prove my eligibility to work in the uk. I thought you just needed your NI number (which I have) but apparently I need a passport as well. Is there anyway I can get some documents that can prove this? I am british, with a passport (which I can't get access to until september). Any help would be great!


    Birth certificate and p45/p60 will do.
    You can send off for a new copy of birth certificate. It is about £15.

    All the other options require passports or doucmentation from the Home Office.

    You can either get a new birth certificate as the other person said. Or, if you know your passport number, you could apply for provisional driving licence if you don't have one yet. They just need a form of ID and that should work.
    • Thread Starter

    I've sent off for a new birth certificate
    @Devify - I looked into the driving licence thing, but apparently that isn't adequate enough :/
    Thanks both anyways
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.