Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Maths, further maths, bio, physics and chem a level

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I have a friend who's planning on doing the same, and dropping both maths at AS level as we can still get away with that, I personally prefer to be rid of the Biology and just take 4 of the best subjects it is possible to take. I also know, however, that universities give out just as many places to people studying 3 subjects as 4 and if you take 4 or even 5 they will give you an offer based on those rather than just three of them. So if you did maths, F.maths, physics they might offer you a place for A*A*A (that's what my brother holds from Cambridge at the moment with chemistry as the A and the two maths together), whereas you take 4 subjects if you consider sometimes they flatten maths and F.Maths to just F.maths, but for the sake of the example they haven't, You might need to get A*A*AA, which is still ridiculously hard and probably not worth the extra effort when you can get in with fewer A-levels.

I have also been advised unless you take maths at uni F.maths is ignored or accepted as simply maths, so if you don't want to go into maths then perhaps only take the AS of F.maths.
    If you plan to take maths I would recommend dropping biology, unless you really enjoy it.
    If you're taking chemistry depending on which type you want to go into, you might want to drop either physics or biology.
    If you want to take biology I would recommend dropping physics, equally the other way around if you're taking physics you really don't need biology.

Although it's up to you I would drop at least one of those before September, and depending on what you want to do possibly only take AS F.maths.

don't be a nerd lol

Perhaps doable, but in my opinion completely unnecessary. It won't be beneficial to anything if you did 4-5 instead of 3.

(Original post by jaspreetb)
    Hey guys, I really have a passion for all of these subjects and I really do love them!! I'm gonna be going into year 12 soon, and was wondering if it was too far of a stretch to achieve A* A* A* A* A*, obviously knowing that I start revision from tommorow (summer holidays)
    I did those subjects to A2. There is a moderate amount of overlap in both content and skills so if you were going to do 5 those ones are probably among the safer choices. I was not overworked and had plenty of time for a social life

Having said that, there is no reason for you to do this. There is no advantage in terms of uni applications, and in fact the possibility that you will get lower grades as a result of overwork means it may weaken your application.

Only do it if you're doing it for interest, and even then, have caution as to the impact it could have on your grades.

(Original post by ACER676)
    Unless ur planning to do medicine, I think there is no point tbh, you will be dreading it A2, if u have to retake any modules, personally i think it is not a safe choice.
    The majority of medical schools do not accept further maths as a separate A-level.

(Original post by BobSausage)
    I have also been advised unless you take maths at uni F.maths is ignored or accepted as simply maths
    Categorically untrue. Plenty of physics, chemistry, computing and economics courses have it as a preferred subject.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.