Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Housing Options for Single Parent/ Mature Student

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I am starting at the University of Nottingham in September. I am a single parent to a 1 year old and currently live in council housing in a different city. I will need to move to the area near the University as I have lessons every day and my son is enrolled at nursery there so it makes logical sense to move.

    However, if I apply for family housing on campus I have to wait until mid August to even apply (it isn't guaranteed and there's limited places). And if I apply in the private sector they don't accept students/ housing benefit tenants. I also have all of my own furniture etc so moving to a furnished student accommodation (either on campus or private) seems kind of pointless as I would have to store everything I own for 3 years. Ideally, I would like to move to privately rented, unfurnished house nearby.

    Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I have no idea what to do.

    Do the council still do accommodation swaps for people who move to other cities? It might be worth asking about.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    There is lots of private student accommodation in the areas around the Uni, and in the city. Ask the accommodation office for a list of agencies.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.