The Student Room Group

Where do you eat at uni

Where do you actually eat snacks and your own home made packed lunch at uni during breaks and stuff?

Also can you eat during lectures?
Original post by shazy2014
Where do you actually eat snacks and your own home made packed lunch at uni during breaks and stuff?

Unis will have on campus cafes and canteens and probably tonnes of benches about too. Depends on the lecturer, some of mine had people eat their bacon butty in them (everyone would have coffee there).
I scoff down home made lunch quickly in front of the library. On a rainy day, the canteens are full of people with the same idea :tongue:

But if I can, I go home for lunch, which I can do if my break is 2 hours or longer, then I'll have a toasted sandwich or have it with soup etc.

When it's sunny everyone eats by the lake.
image.jpg
You just eat them wherever, or at your house. Though at my uni a lot of people eat out every day that they have lectures because there's a lot of choice around the uni and getting home, eating then coming back in a 1 hour break isn't ideal.

Most of the time you can eat during lectures (you're not supposed to but you can), with exceptions like certain lecturers who don't like it or if you're in a lab.
Reply 4
I usually ate in university cafe's or the food court. Occasionally if place were packed-out for lunch, I'd buy a panini from library cafe and eat it inside my department foyer area. If I had an important lecture I needed to be at soon, I'd just scoff my food in there. My lecturers have never minded. :P
Original post by shazy2014

My university has a couple of restaurants and cafes on site - I usually go to them with friends from my lectures or in my first year when i lived on campus, i'd run up to my room to grab some lunch or something.
Usually you can eat in lectures, it depending on the lecturer and what not.
Universities have different rules about eating in lectures, but it often is up to the lecturer - i doubt anyone would mind a sneaky quiet chocolate bar as long as its quiet! Our quad is always popular, as is the Student Lounge and the Student Bar (they don't mind you bringing your own food in).

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Reply 7
I don't know of any "No Eating" zones at my current uni. Even the library now permits eating and drinking on all floors. You can certainly eat your own food in any of the areas where food is being sold - student refectory, student bar, coffee bars etc. I've never seen a student asked not to eat in a lecture, although common sense dictates that you didn't ought to eat smelly food or stuff which makes a noise.
Original post by SeanFM
I scoff down home made lunch quickly in front of the library. On a rainy day, the canteens are full of people with the same idea :tongue:

But if I can, I go home for lunch, which I can do if my break is 2 hours or longer, then I'll have a toasted sandwich or have it with soup etc.

image.jpg

Ah man, I miss this...
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM

image.jpg

Is that Bath? Looks like Bath :holmes: (seeing if my open day memory serves me well)
Original post by Alexion
Is that Bath? Looks like Bath :holmes: (seeing if my open day memory serves me well)

It is indeed! aha are you coming here this year? :smile:
Original post by ccharlie97
It is indeed! aha are you coming here this year? :smile:

It's down as my insurance, so maybe :cute:
Original post by Alexion
It's down as my insurance, so maybe :cute:

Ah cool - what's your firm? and what subject? :smile:
Ah cool - what's your firm? and what subject? :smile:

Southampton for Electronic Engineering :yep:

I was a bit silly with it though, as with AAA I'll end up in the firm, but AAB I'd miss both... luckily Bath said they can still get you in (on the BEng instead of the MEng) with one below the required grades :3
Depends on the circumstances at the time (Whether I'm busy or not). Most times I just head down to the student bar, and grab myself some lunch down there. When it gets to a busier time of the semester I usually just grab a drink and head off to do some work, then eat when the day is over.
Original post by Alexion
Southampton for Electronic Engineering :yep:

I was a bit silly with it though, as with AAA I'll end up in the firm, but AAB I'd miss both... luckily Bath said they can still get you in (on the BEng instead of the MEng) with one below the required grades :3

Ah cool - are you confident you got AAA? Fair enough, well if you get on the BEng I'm sure if you smash 1st and 2nd year and that they'll let you upgrade to the MEng, if you do get into Bath that is!

Best of luck :smile:
Ah cool - are you confident you got AAA? Fair enough, well if you get on the BEng I'm sure if you smash 1st and 2nd year and that they'll let you upgrade to the MEng, if you do get into Bath that is!

Best of luck :smile:

I'm actually feeling more like an A*A*A but only time will tell :mmm:
I'm almost never hungry when I go to lectures. There's 3 reasons for this: a) I usually have a dozen of biscuits and a cup of tea for breakfast and lunch. This usually last 4 hours. b) my lectures are all 2-4 hours long so yeah and c) I'm so lazy to prepare meals and too poor to cook any.

I usually get a coffee with coursemates when everyone goes for a break or get my coursemates to buy one for me cause they love moi!

Quick Reply

Latest