Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Are Oxbridge computer science courses unique?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I recently attended Cambridge and Oxford open days to look at doing computer science. One thing I noticed is that I was told at both colleges that Oxbridge computer science courses are very theoretical. Firstly why is this? Also what does this really mean, and how will these courses be different to other computer science courses?
    Finally, how much better is it to get a degree from Oxford or Cambridge than it is to get a degree from a standard Russell group University?

The thing with computer science is that most employers look more at your experience than where you got your degree. If you look at available jobs you will see that most ask for a portfolio and maybe at least a bachelor's in computer science or similar. In which case, other universities that offer more practical lessons will be better simply because you will be able to use the things you have done for your course in your portfolio.

Concentrate more on how you learn better and what you enjoy more. I chose my university specifically because it provides more practical lessons. I could've went to a higher rated uni but I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it because they concentrate on theory.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.