The Student Room Group

Student finance advice.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Basically I went to university starting 14/15 on student finance and due to many personal and medical reasons I had to suspend and restart my first year. During my resit of my first year even more problems arisen causing me to have to drop out. I have since sorted all of the problems and I am up for going back to university now. Only problem being i'm unsure how much funding I will be entitled to.

I have attached an image showing how much I received over my first year and resit and was wondering if student finance would fund another three year course as it shows on my resit year they did not actually fund the university, only me. So I was wondering would they fund an entire new three year course? Or only the two years? Or maybe three years to the university and only two to me for support?

Thank you for any help and I politely ask from people advising me that "university isn't for me" or anything along them lines as the problems that made me fail twice are completely none study related and over now.Capture.PNG

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by andrew12321
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Basically I went to university starting 14/15 on student finance and due to many personal and medical reasons I had to suspend and restart my first year. During my resit of my first year even more problems arisen causing me to have to drop out. I have since sorted all of the problems and I am up for going back to university now. Only problem being i'm unsure how much funding I will be entitled to.

I have attached an image showing how much I received over my first year and resit and was wondering if student finance would fund another three year course as it shows on my resit year they did not actually fund the university, only me. So I was wondering would they fund an entire new three year course? Or only the two years? Or maybe three years to the university and only two to me for support?

Thank you for any help and I politely ask from people advising me that "university isn't for me" or anything along them lines as the problems that made me fail twice are completely none study related and over now.Capture.PNG

Thank you.

You can apply for CPR if you had Compelling Personal Reasons that made you drop out. If you can prove you were too ill to study then your attempt would be disregarded and you would get full funding for a new course.

Otherwise, you'll have to finance the first year of a new course yourself as you won't be eligible.
Reply 2
I agree with the above post.

Your entitlement isn't based on how much SF you've had so far, but on how many years you've previously spent at uni. If you left due to health problems, the CPR process will allow you to claw back years of funding entitlement.

For the purposes of the calculation, a partial year is considered complete. Without CPR, the calculation is:

Number of years of new uni course (minus) Number of years of previous uni education (plus) One grace year = Number of years of SF entitlement remaining.

This gives you 3-2+1=2 years of SF funding left, which you would get in the second and third years of a new degree. You would get a minimum Maintenance Loan in the first year but would have to pay your own tuition fees.

If you apply for CPR and get 1 year reinstated, the calculation changes to 3-2+1+1 CPR year = 3 years of SF entitlement. This would give you your full SF entitlement for a full three year degree. If you managed to get 2 years reinstated via CPR, then you would have the safety of a grace year in case you needed to retake a year again.

So basically, you need to apply to SF for Compelling Personal Reasons if you want to try uni again. You will need independent written proof (e.g. a letter from a GP, consultant, counsellor etc) which describes your health problems and why they meant that you could not continue with your earlier years of study. If you're going to try getting both years reinstated, then those letters will need to cover the two occasions on which you were forced to withdraw.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending