The Student Room Group

Gove short changes NHS by £250M a week

Michael Gove says he will give the NHS an extra £100m a week, that means he has short changed the NHS by £250m a week. What a liar.
Reply 1
As I understand it, his pledge is to give the NHS an extra £100m a week by 2020. Which would have happened anyway.
Original post by Maker
Michael Gove says he will give the NHS an extra £100m a week, that means he has short changed the NHS by £250m a week. What a liar.

My understanding was that he never had £350 million a week to give away in the first place.
Reply 3
Original post by ByEeek
My understanding was that he never had £350 million a week to give away in the first place.

He is not even PM and he has already broken a promise, he has also promised to reduce EU immigration but how much of that is a lie as well.
Politicians lying? Never, you must be dreaming. :wink:
When did he state he would give £350million.. be interesting to see because I can't stand him!
Let's hope he gives it not by taking away something else.
Reply 8
I really wanted someone to shout out "Will that be inflation-adjusted Michael?" or similar.
Original post by Iknowbest
When did he state he would give £350million.. be interesting to see because I can't stand him!

Do you have amnesia?
Reply 11
image.jpeg
index.jpg

Ohh this bus? The one that says.. Let's fund our NHS instead? So this is your reason?

This. Read what it says on his battle bus.

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/1016981/stream_img.jpg
index.jpg

Ohh this bus? The one that says.. Let's fund our NHS instead? So this is your reason?

To be fair, it doesn't say let's fund the NHS with £350 million.

To me it just says they'll use some of the £350 million to fund the NHS.
Original post by JordanL_
Do you have amnesia?

No.. why?
Original post by offhegoes
I really wanted someone to shout out "Will that be inflation-adjusted Michael?" or similar.

Agreed - nothing clear about whether this is a real increase or just a further lie where inflation eats into any increase.
Reply 17
Original post by The Roast
To be fair, it doesn't say let's fund the NHS with £350 million.

To me it just says they'll use some of the £350 million to fund the NHS.

In that case please give me £20 for basic food rations this week.

Some of it may go towards food, some of it may be spent on a new guitar. But that isn't really important.
Gove never strictly made a pledge of £350m for the NHS. Firstly, the Leave campaign couldn't actually have any say in government spending in the first place (it could only give suggestions, arguments and recommendations), and secondly "We send £350 million to the EU each week, let's fund our NHS instead" doesn't necessarily say all of that money will go towards the NHS. I always imagined it would be put towards other things too, unless should they have listed absolutely everything, down to the spending of each individual pound, on the side of that bus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending