The Student Room Group

Rethinking going to uni in September

Okay sorry for the long post, I'll try to keep it short. So this has been my gap year and its been the best experience of my life. I've met new people, I feel safe and independent, work in a job that I love and all this is making me rethink going to uni in September.

My grandmother says she wants £100 a month out of my maintenance money to compensate her for the money she'll be missing out on when I leave (she has enough money to support herself 10 times over with her benefits but thats a story for another day) which I'm not sure I can even do because I will have to support my self first and foremost as I'll be living in accommodation at my uni and I'll need to get two buses everyday to get there. I'm also worried about the commute because I know I'll get worn out from it and costs add up, although this admittedly is the last thing I worry about when thinking of going to uni this september.

Also I have a job that I love so much. I always hated the part-time jobs I had when I was doing GCSE's and A-levels, but this one I've learnt/can learn so much, and I feel like I'm actually good at it. I love the people I work with and also the people I volunteer with each week because they're so supportive, I know I'll really miss them when I go because they've made me less of the recluse I was when I was at school because now I actually go out. I know I'll make new friends but I worry I'll become the person I was at A-levels where I rarely ever went out.

And finally I was continuously assaulted by a guy who was in sixth form throughout my GCSE's and this year has finally made me feel like I'm in control of my body and my life again, and I don't want to loose that feeling when I get to uni because everyone is out of control of everything when they first get there which is why everyone says they loved their uni experience, except for me the feeling I'll get will be accompanied by complete fear and distrust of everyone with questions like 'what if it happens again? Will the uni be as unhelpful as my secondary school was?'I know its unlikely I'll be assaulted again, and this isn't my main reason I'm reconsidering whether to go to uni or not this year, but its still something I think about.

So what do you think I should do?

Anyway, thank you in advance for any advice. Sorry if I haven't made much sense xx
Original post by Romanovposts
Okay sorry for the long post, I'll try to keep it short. So this has been my gap year and its been the best experience of my life. I've met new people, I feel safe and independent, work in a job that I love and all this is making me rethink going to uni in September.

My grandmother says she wants £100 a month out of my maintenance money to compensate her for the money she'll be missing out on when I leave (she has enough money to support herself 10 times over with her benefits but thats a story for another day) which I'm not sure I can even do because I will have to support my self first and foremost as I'll be living in accommodation at my uni and I'll need to get two buses everyday to get there. I'm also worried about the commute because I know I'll get worn out from it and costs add up, although this admittedly is the last thing I worry about when thinking of going to uni this september.

Also I have a job that I love so much. I always hated the part-time jobs I had when I was doing GCSE's and A-levels, but this one I've learnt/can learn so much, and I feel like I'm actually good at it. I love the people I work with and also the people I volunteer with each week because they're so supportive, I know I'll really miss them when I go because they've made me less of the recluse I was when I was at school because now I actually go out. I know I'll make new friends but I worry I'll become the person I was at A-levels where I rarely ever went out.

And finally I was continuously assaulted by a guy who was in sixth form throughout my GCSE's and this year has finally made me feel like I'm in control of my body and my life again, and I don't want to loose that feeling when I get to uni because everyone is out of control of everything when they first get there which is why everyone says they loved their uni experience, except for me the feeling I'll get will be accompanied by complete fear and distrust of everyone with questions like 'what if it happens again? Will the uni be as unhelpful as my secondary school was?'I know its unlikely I'll be assaulted again, and this isn't my main reason I'm reconsidering whether to go to uni or not this year, but its still something I think about.

So what do you think I should do?

Anyway, thank you in advance for any advice. Sorry if I haven't made much sense xx

Hello, Sounds like you've been doing a lot of thinking!

From an outsiders point of view just reading what you've written and you've written very honestly - I would advise against going to Uni, purely because of the fact that by writing what you think there are more negative points than positive. However when you have written positively its been about matters outside of Uni i.e. your work and your gap year.

Uni is a massive commitment and you cant go to uni for 3+ years thinking "I don't want to do this" before you've even started.

If your job is what you enjoy and you're worried about getting a further education, find out whether your work provide something - the likelihood is they'll have a scheme in place for people who want to progress through their industry.
If this isn't possible I'd also consider an open university degree, done in your own time outside of work.

P.S I honest think you wouldn't have a chance of supporting your grandmother with £100 you need all the loan money you can get just to survive.

Good luck!

Rhys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending