The Student Room Group

Are O2 still a bad network? Should I stick with EE?

Hi! My contract with EE comes to an end this month. I'd like to go for a SIM only instead. My plan includes 10GB of data and I use at least 9GB every month or almost all of it.

O2 are doing a 10GB plan for £18 a month on SIM Only which seems the cheapest around? I wouldn't be interested in giffgaff because on their £20 a month "always on" plan they slow your data speeds up after 6GB and I'd like the full works of 4G.

Three always had dodgy customer service, and Vodafone is apparently the worst network in the UK? It said on ITV News that people needed to check their bills as they've overcharged etc.

But last time I was on O2, it was almost impossible to get good signals in Bath City Centre inside shops, at home it would always drop to E, and when I was out cycling, it would always lose signal and my cycling GPS tracking app (Strava) would never record properly or it'd say I'd have cycled 110MPH! haha. Plus apparently their 4G isn't very fast? Is O2 like that now still? O2 seemed to be stuck in the 90's when I was last with them!

I'd love to stay with EE but their 16GB sim only plan is £34.99 which is way too much. They're an excellent network and I get 4G everywhere, but it's too much. Do you think they'd offer me it cheaper when my contract ends? Or do you think they'd copy other networks offers?

Don't live in Bath but I've been with O2 since last September and literally never had a problem with them, their network going out or their staff. Recently got an upgrade for them and they went the extra mile to make sure I could before the promotion I was after ran out! I'd try to strong-arm EE into giving you a better deal to keep you, but personally can't complain about O2 in the slightest!

Quick Reply