The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Maybe Oxbridge at a stretch. No one else.
Original post by serions871
What uk units can be considered a being equal in prestige to Ivy League institutions?

Oxbridge and maybe LSE and Imperial are the only ones that can really compare in terms of selectivity.

But, an analogue would be to use what banks have as their 'target' unis in the US and compare that to the UK:

so:
Ivy league + MIT + Stanford + Duke + top LACs + Georgetown would be akin to our Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick grouping.

Then, the strong semi-targets of NYU, UVA, UMich, Berkeley, Emory, USC, Northwestern etc would be akin to Notts, Bristol, Durham, Cass Biz School and Bath.

Then the other semi-targets would be analogous

large state unis in the US (UIUC, UT-Austin, UCLA), less well known LACs (Bowdoin, Wellesley etc), less well known privates (Boston College, Rice) etc would be akin to Manchester, Edinburgh, St Andrews, KCL etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Oxbridge and maybe LSE and Imperial are the only ones that can really compare in terms of selectivity.

But, an analogue would be to use what banks have as their 'target' unis in the US and compare that to the UK:

so:
Ivy league + MIT + Stanford + Duke + top LACs + Georgetown would be akin to our Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick grouping.

Then, the strong semi-targets of NYU, UVA, UMich, Berkeley, Emory, USC, Northwestern etc would be akin to Notts, Bristol, Durham, Cass Biz School and Bath.

Then the other semi-targets would be analogous

large state unis in the US (UIUC, UT-Austin, UCLA), less well known LACs (Bowdoin, Wellesley etc), less well known privates (Boston College, Rice) etc would be akin to Manchester, Edinburgh, St Andrews, KCL etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

NYU Stern is a semi target? I always thought it was a target...
Original post by Trapz99
NYU Stern is a semi target? I always thought it was a target...

Stern yeah, not the whole uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Maybe Oxbridge at a stretch. No one else.

At a stretch? Oxbridge ranks just as high as HYP internationally.
It's a difficult question to answer. The Ivy League is a collegiate athletic conference, so historically based on sports. It's made up of 8 universities, and the most prestigious of these 8 are Harvard, Yale and Princeton (HYP).

In simple terms, HYP = Oxbridge. They all score roughly the same in international university rankings, but Oxford and Cambridge tend to rank higher than Yale and Princeton (Oxbridge top 5, Yale/Princeton top 15).

The rest of the Ivy League (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, UPenn) are equivalent to the other top Russel Group unis like UCL, Imperial, LSE, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Durham.

Dartmouth is the worst of all the Ivy League (internationally ranks around 150), and if it wasn't for its name prestige, I definitely wouldn't consider it superior to any of the Russel Group unis I mentioned. But as said in one of the earlier replies, looking at target unis for US banks and comparing that to the UK gives you a better idea.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick
why dont you you just look at the plethora of other threads that are similar to this?

so sick of all these IB try-hard(s) parroting their uni

Original post by serions871
What uk units can be considered a being equal in prestige to Ivy League institutions?
In my opinion...

British equivalent of Ivy is like Oxbridge+LSE/ICL... Ivy unis have become extremely selective (they used to be selective, but now its getting worse and worse)
In terms of difficulty of getting in, yeah Oxbridge and ICL/LSE can match that of Ivy league schools

btw how good is King's College London? I'm not from the UK so I don't really know much about how British people see KCL (I know it is a fairly decent uni)
In terms of how good they are I'd say the top 30ish is equivalent to Ivy league standard
I’d say the main ones in UK are Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE and Edinburgh, since they are the only UK unis ranked top 20 in the world as of 2019.
Original post by NickAlex12

Oxford and Cambridge for sure and maybe LSE and Imperial not sure of any others
Why not Edinburgh? That is higher in the university rankings worldwide than some Ivy League.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Truthfully, only Oxford and Cambridge compare in terms of prestige, entry standards, and graduate prospects. If I were to compare the Ivy League to their closest UK institutions, I would say:

Harvard/Yale = Oxford/Cambridge (most prestigious with world-wide recognition).

MIT = Imperial (technology and science focussed).

Dartmouth/Princeton = Durham/St Andrews (smaller and undergraduate focussed).

Columbia = UCL/LSE (big city, career focussed students).

Cornell = Warwick (**** city, campus university).

Penn = Edinburgh/Manchester (prestigious just because they’re big).

Stamford = Bristol/Bath (trendy and smart).

Brown = Kings (like to think they’re part of the club, but they’re not really).
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending