Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

tips on studying.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I'm about to start my A levels in September. I'm so excited but also very nervous because I need amazing grades ( I need 300 UCAS points by the end of my A levels). this is probably the most asked question but has anyone got any tips? thank you

(Original post by beth_145)
    I'm about to start my A levels in September. I'm so excited but also very nervous because I need amazing grades ( I need 300 UCAS points by the end of my A levels). this is probably the most asked question but has anyone got any tips? thank you
    Organization is key to high grades at AS and A2. First find your preferred method of taking notes (handwritten or typed). Make sure you stay on top of this because you can't revise from poorly organised notes and get a good grade.

Personally i find that the only the only reason i'm doing well in my A-levels at the moment is because i follow the specifications. A-levels are not like gcse where you are taught everything you need to know, you have to take responsibility for your own learning by doing more in depth research.
    For example in my economics exam we looked at a topic very briefly for a minute at the end of lesson, but it was a large mark question in the exam.

Another big one you will be aware of is past papers, but the most crucial part is reading the examiners reports, especially for essay based subjects.

And after results day or when you have had a substantial rest, trying learning the first few topics of each subject to get a head start.

My best A Level tips would be:
    • Try to miss as few lessons as possible (I found that more content was covered per lesson at AS and A2 than at GCSE, so it was harder to catch up if I missed any of them)
    • Make revision notes as you are going along, not at the end of the year after you've covered everything (trying to do them all at the end will take too long)
    • If you don't understand a topic, ask about it as soon as you can! Not understanding a topic at the start can obviouslt make things more complicated later on, and waiting to ask about it/them as the exams get closer can be risky, as your teacher may be too busy to be able to help you properly
    • Take advantage of any lunchtime/after college homework/general help sessions, as they can prove invaluable if you're struggling with any topics, having trouble with exam technique etc
    • Make sure you start revision early, as it's really easy to overestimate how much time you have to go over everything! (I learned this the hard way unfortunately!)
    Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your advice! It is really helpful!☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Along with the ones already mentioned, I recommend looking ahead. You should have a course syllabus (check official specs from the exam board websites), use this to see what you need to learn. If you already have a basic grasp of the material before you even enter the classroom you'll be in a better position. It also sets you up to ask questions and focus on topics you don't understand when it's being taught. Furthermore before your A2 year you'll have a summer holiday. It's the perfect time to look at your A2 content. Assuming you have 8-10 weeks of summer holiday (which isn't uncommon) you'll have plenty of time to cover everything in your second year before the year even starts.

Revise all your content as you get it. Instead of spending loads of time near exams making revision notes, write them as you go. Look back over them regularly. Then when you start scheduling in serious revision not only will the information be partially in your mind but you don't have to spend loads of time writing notes and making resources.

Naturally the type of course makes a huge difference. For example one of my college courses was entirely coursework based. No need to revise or prep for exams. Instead I had to do a good chunk of my coursework at home to ensure I got the best grades. You'd treat a coursework based subject differently to an exam based subject.

It's also worth remembering that these sorts of behaviours will set you up for university as well. Independent study and self research is a huge part of university so if you're already doing it at A Level it won't come as a huge shock later on.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.