The Student Room Group

Mechanics and Physics

Hi

So next year I will be starting A2 maths/fm and A2 physics. I will be doing M2 and possibly M3 (but not likely). Does mechanics actually help with any of the maths in physics and would it be beneficial to learn m3 for this?
Original post by hellomynameisr
Hi

So next year I will be starting A2 maths/fm and A2 physics. I will be doing M2 and possibly M3 (but not likely). Does mechanics actually help with any of the maths in physics and would it be beneficial to learn m3 for this?

Mechanics modules are the best modules do alongside physics A Level by a long shot.

Mechanics in maths helps so much with physics, they are basically extra physics lessons. The mechanics in physics A-Level is incredibly simplified version of mechanics in Maths A-Level. Mechanics in maths is essentially the "real thing". For example there is no calculus in Physics A-Level. You can't do "proper" mechanics (or physics in general really) without calculus.

So all of the classic mechanics modules in Physics will be so easy compared to the maths versions. They complement each other and you get to be graded twice for learning the same thing XD. Win Win.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Thats good to hear!

How much mechanics will be involved in a2 physics? and should I learn m3 too?
Original post by hellomynameisr
Thats good to hear!

How much mechanics will be involved in a2 physics? and should I learn m3 too?

I only did M1. I wanted to do M2 but had to do Decision Maths instead :puke:

A-Level Physics involves a lot of mechanics. But none of it involves calculus so it is less mathematically technical at the expense of it being "dumbed down" (unless it has changed in the last 5 years).

M1 is newtons laws and equations of motion. M2 is then uses that as a base to energy and momentum. Not sure what M3 did.

I did a Physics degree after A-Level and the Mechanics module is like the physics you will do at university. So if you want to do Physics or a similar subject at university the Mechanics maths modules will give you a good grounding for that.

Although all the maths you learn in the Core modules is good enough and first year of university is basically making sure you are up o speed and making sure you know all the foundation stuff.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Ah okay then.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest