The Student Room Group

Who was the most successful ruler in history?

Scroll to see replies

Jaehaerys the conciliator

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
continents:

- Asia - Akbar, Darius, Cyrus

- Africa - Musa

- Americas - Lincoln

- Europe - Charlegmange, Marcus Aurelius, Louis Sun King
Reply 82
Original post by Grand High Witch
Based on all of the factors of success combined overall: keeping their people in check, expanding their realm in terms of wealth and influence, securing their position in terms of uprisings, foreign enemies, etc.

Again, this is overall and based on all the factors - just because a particular leader in history led great military campaigns does not mean their domestic leadership was any good.

Who takes the top spot?

For keeping the people in check i feel most rulers [except those deposed] can take equal credit;
Mary burned those who went against her, Victoria over saw people in India blown from the gun, Ivan the Terrible well the name speaks for itself..

Expansion;
Ivan the terrible secured Russias rapid expansion when Kazan fell, Marco Polo secured a new and highly important trade route, George presided over the empire at its biggest point, Bismark created the most powerful european state, obviously the rulers of the Ming Dynasty too..
Wealth - British/Dutch/Spanish/chinese oweing to the respective empires
Foreign enemies ho ho ho Britain arguably takes the top spot for that 'the empire on which the blood never dries', Germanys genocidal tendancies.. but America of course under there various presidents from ww2 onwards.
Reply 84
Original post by TheHistoryKid
Umar Ibn Al-Khattab is a notable mention

Yes and salahuddeen al ayubi and khalifa musailamah. And mohammad pbuh, abu bakr, usman and ali. May allah be pleased with them all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Queen Victoria.
Reply 86
Saladin.
Original post by Adamski191
If I had to pick, it would be Alexander the Great. After all, he did bring an end to the tyranny of the Persians, created an empire from Albania to Afghanistan, and left behind a ginormous legacy that is still making an impact to this very day. He was never defeated in battle, he created numerous famous cities (Alexandria, Egypt, for example), built tons of monuments that we still cherish today, and died a hero. It's too bad he didn't live on for longer. Who knows what would have become of the Ancient, and our Modern, world if he had?

"Tyranny of Persia"?
That's a bit biased isn't it. The times were violent, the Greeks were no less bloodthirsty than the Persians. So retract that statement from further use

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Al-Ayubi
Saladin.

Definitely one of - he united the Middle East and defended against hordes of European crusaders

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Reply 90
Original post by emobambam
I too thought about John F Kennedy because of the Space Race and what he did for racial equality in America but he was only president for 3 years

What did he do for racial equality that wasn't forced on him?
Original post by moggis
What did he do for racial equality that wasn't forced on him?
he did the right thing. He cared about what was right and just thing. He could have been like the previous 10 presidents and ignored the problem. He felt African Americans should be equal and he stood behind that. He could have not called this National Guard and those troubled places.
Original post by Adamski191
If I had to pick, it would be Alexander the Great. After all, he did bring an end to the tyranny of the Persians, created an empire from Albania to Afghanistan, and left behind a ginormous legacy that is still making an impact to this very day. He was never defeated in battle, he created numerous famous cities (Alexandria, Egypt, for example), built tons of monuments that we still cherish today, and died a hero. It's too bad he didn't live on for longer. Who knows what would have become of the Ancient, and our Modern, world if he had?

Huh. Wait didn't alexander fail in conquering afghanistan?
Original post by Raizelcadres

Lol yeah he did actually. "Every step I take is like going against an iron wall. This is the land of the lion-like" - He wrote to his mother. Afghanistan has always been a warring nation, the Soviets at the climax of their power failed too. But the bottom line is, yeah he did fail in Afghanistan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I knew more about leaders in history, this is such an interesting and important topic. When I think of successful leaders I don't always think of 'good' ones. For example Hitler and Stalin were very destructive, but had a lot of support and power behind them, it's an intriguing debate!
king herman van rumpuy (swt)
Francois Hollande
Reply 97

No, he conquered Afghanistan (called Bactria). He reached India and defeated King Porus somewhere south of Islamabad, but his soldiers rebelled and refused to go farther east. So it is traditionally said that he failed to conquer India, but his empire already stretched on 6,000 kms.

Bactria then became an independent Greek kingdom and a thriving civilisation.
Original post by Josb
No, he conquered Afghanistan (called Bactria). He reached India and defeated King Porus somewhere south of Islamabad, but his soldiers rebelled and refused to go farther east. So it is traditionally said that he failed to conquer India, but his empire already stretched on 6,000 kms.

Bactria then became an independent Greek kingdom and a thriving civilisation.

As an afghan I have never researched it myself since so many afghans have told me Alexander failed to conquer Afghanistan, so thank you for that and forgive me for my ignorance :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 99
As an afghan I have never researched it myself since so many afghans have told me Alexander failed to conquer Afghanistan, so thank you for that and forgive me for my ignorance :biggrin:

Bactria was a very wealthy kingdom. The biggest gold coin ever minted was made there by the Greek king Eucratides to commemorate his conquest of India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monnaie_de_Bactriane,_Eucratide_I,_2_faces.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending