The Student Room Group

If a homeless person was begging you to buy them breakfast, would you ignore them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RibbonTide
Thats mean. Delete yourself from here

It's mean, but at least it's self honest.

Personally I wouldn't, and it annoys me when homeless people look at you with the puppy dog eyes and try to guilt trip you into giving them money.
Original post by theBranicAc
How is asking for a pay rise selfish?
When i talk about selfish i mean in regards to how you interact with other people.

I said that selfish people are more likely to ask for a pay rise, slight difference

I'm on limited income, and trying to save up so I can use that money at university, I'm not a charity ffs
Original post by fatima1998
it costs literally nothing for me to buy a breakfast! gave £5 the other day to a homeless person :cute:

What if they spent that money on heroin or illegal drugs instead of food ?
Nope I am not a charity, I would tell him where the nearest soup kitchen is though.
Reply 44
As humans we should help each other in whatever way we can.Homeless people dont want to ask people for money etc. But they do so because theyre desperate.I would happily buy a homeless man breakfast and even sit with him and have a chat.Homeless people arent of another species,theyre just people like the rest of us in an unfortunate situation and people who are fortunate not to be in their situation should help them because it is the moral thing to do
Original post by Kadak
What if they spent that money on heroin or illegal drugs instead of food ?

they are starving for food though! :redface: and i dont think they can buy drugs without any proof of identification? :unsure:
Original post by Wilfred Little
I wouldn't be arsed if they did spend it on drugs or alcohol tbh, they're homeless, have a pint on me lads.

I'd be more likely not to give though because I don't carry much cash on me.

Yeah well I would be. How exactly is feeding their addiction gonna help them. But each to their own...
I would do it if I had the money on me. The other day I saw this old woman buy a bag of food for a homeless man and it was really heartwarming.
Original post by Novascope
Yeah well I would be.

Why?

How exactly is feeding their addiction gonna help them. But each to their own...

It might stop them nicking to pay for their booze.
They are going to get it anyway, may as well have two quid off me.
Original post by Blue_Mason
That is very generous of you, but the thought of giving a fiver to a stranger is giving me a migraine

Tbh, I was not convinced.
Like I know that we have services that can provide meals and such, and if he was desperate he would of seek out such services

It really isn't so simple. I'm pretty sure a person would rather go to a service for food than beg on the street for it. It's actually surprising how little support there is for the homeless.
I'd have to go for location if it's somewhere i will be back in the next month then i won't do it but if it somewhere will not see in a couple of months or more then sure I'll buy them something

Spoiler

Original post by Foo.mp3
If they're like a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to Starvin' Marvin' then sure, I'd buy them an apple :hippie:

Only an apple?
Wait can apples be bought separately?
Reply 52
Only an apple?
Wait can apples be bought separately?

Original post by iEthаn

I normally see them in a pack of five or six
No I dont see why he cant go sign on n get housing benefit these options are available to people he probs chooses to live that way.. Its easy to be a bum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsapRocky
No I dont see why he cant go sign on n get housing benefit these options are available to people he probs chooses to live that way.. Its easy to be a bum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh most are addicts
If they looked desperate, I'd probably give them some food if I had it on me (granola bar etc.).

Honestly, however, it's better to donate to soup kitchens and homeless charities than to give money or even food to people on the street. It rewards vagrancy.
No I'm too poor myself tbh.
Tbh most are addicts

True

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would not ignore him, no, i would definitely buy him breakfast.

Quick Reply

Latest