The Student Room Group

Who else is finding it impossiable

To find a job until mid-september... im 18... only experience is working as a waiter and 2 weeks working in a shop (left due to armed robbery and them being arseholes)

I tried factorys shops supermarkets etc... most dont have any jobs going... those who do not reply.

Farms dont want english people, because polish and portugese will work for less in worse conditions it appear.

Im getting a bit worries... got £100 left of my overdraft and about 40 miles worth of diesel in the tank.

I signed up to the local job agency and havent heard back.

Jobcentre is a joke.

In my local town i am about 1 of 2000 people in the same situation.

I live near the largest portugese immigrant population out of london so there arent even menial jobs going.

Plus no-one wants temporary, tesco has a wiating list for full time employees, what would they want to train up temporary staff when they can have permanent?

Even my dad who owns his own company doesnt want me!

BAH... Im checking jobcentreplus and jobstoday hourly looking for jobs... i found a few yesterday and they were filled by the time i had phoned... only been up a few hours max!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya

I live in London and im finding it pretty tough to find a job but you've just gotta keep going, something will turn up.

I've had a couple of interviews and got myself another one today.

This may sound harsh...but whats the harm in doing a full time 'permanent' job and then having your plans 'change' come September??

Anyway, best of luck with the job hunting.
Reply 2
Ermm because of notice period and the fact they would give me a **** reference if i did that.
Reply 3
Yes! I went through the whole of town yesterday and found one place where I could hand my CV in. A lot of places said we're not recruting.

I've been looking on that job centre plus website and i've not had any luck with the sort of stuff i want to do.
Reply 4
Gar... at least they have the decency to reply.

Most dont... I applied to a full time temp job at Focus DIY, he said they would be interviewing the next day and would contact me... never did... I rang up and ask if they had any jobs going... and it turns out the one i applied for is!

"Hi John
Unfortunately you are required to be over 21 for insurance purposes for this
job, however if you wish to be considered for others you will need to
register with us. Please let me know if you do?
Regards
Philip CEA"
Me too, I find it really embarrassing that I'm 18 and have never had a job. It keeps upsetting me when my friends are just like "godd go and get a job, stop being lazy". It's not like I'm not trying! :frown:
Reply 6
I know the feeling!
Reply 7
Don't worry about I'm 18 too and never had a job. It just means we are more open for doing more jobs which require you to be 18+.
Reply 8
If there were any jobs going it would helk though!

People keep saying "Go to asda they always want staff!

Not realising they dont and they have a long waiting list for jobs!
Go into town and go in every shop, even if they don't have any vacancy signs. And ask if you can hand in your CV, even if it's just so they can put it on record.

Ask at all the supermarkets, restaurants etc.

I know it's hard to find a job, it took me 8 months of constant looking. In the end the job I got was because I randomly posted my CV to the business in the hope that they'd have a vacancy!! It paid off.

Maybe you could try posting a load of CV's to companies?

Have you tried looking on specific shop websites where you can apply online? eg. M&S, comet, B&Q to name a few.

Good luck and try not to lose heart, you'll get something in the end. :smile:
Reply 10
It is SO frustrating!

No one wants a student for 3 months with no experience.

But how am I expected to GAIN the experience if no one will take me on?!

It's a vicious circle and a statement that I am becoming increasingly fed up of hearing.

Hmmph.
Reply 11
Yup... i heave tried every shop and business in town... and another town a bit further away. I have exhausted job centre and jobstoday.
Reply 12
In the same boat, but going on holiday for 2 weeks next week, so I am not thinking about it. I hope I can get work when I return, should be able to (in some warehouse somewhere probably).

But I am considering skipping my other holiday (family one) as I really need the £300-£500 that I'd get in the two weeks I'd be on holiday.
Reply 13
The annoying thing for me is. Whilst everyone else is struggling to find a job, I can so easily get a job getting paid over 5 pound an hour (part time) and all i'll be doing is answering phonecalls, yet I can't get it as my NI number has not arrived !
Reply 14
MR 51NGH
The annoying thing for me is. Whilst everyone else is struggling to find a job, I can so easily get a job getting paid over 5 pound an hour (part time) and all i'll be doing is answering phonecalls, yet I can't get it as my NI number has not arrived !

I also see a few odd jobs around, but most are part-time. I don't want to work at a proper shop (e.g: NEXT) part-time, as you will probably need a 1month notice period. So for me I think an agency job is the only way forward for now.
Reply 15
spark911
I also see a few odd jobs around, but most are part-time. I don't want to work at a proper shop (e.g: NEXT) part-time, as you will probably need a 1month notice period. So for me I think an agency job is the only way forward for now.

For this job - I ring them and tell them when I want to work and they confirm it. So it's not fixed, it's maximum of 3 days a week, and the shift consists of 8hours. Plus it's an Summer Only job, so no worries about notices. Pretty sweet deal hey? Only problem is I can't take advantage of it.
Reply 16
Arghh i'm fed up of looking too! I thought i could just stroll into a dodgy call centre job as soon as my exams were over, but no one seems to need staff :mad: and i refuse to do waitressing again, i don't think i could handle one more night of that..
Be really forceful. Ring people up to see if they have jobs going, or go into the shops to enquire. Jobs are hard to come by, even in the North east, where I live. I work at Haggerston Castle caravan park, where they treat us like something you really don't want on your shoes... my team leader takes all our breaks, they quite regularly don't pay us for they time we spend after close stocking up and cleaning, which often takes the five of us an hour and a half. Two of us are desperately trying to find somewhere else to work, but no luck so far!
Reply 18
Awww, I thought I was the only one! I've been looking for summer jobs since Easter.. handed in sooo many CV's and signed up with 3 agencies and I've heard nothing... :frown: I've had to settle for voluntary positions instead, so at least i'm gaining some experince. As September draws closer, the idea of getting a paid job is becoming more unlikely.
Basically, i think i've applied to every single place at the end of May/start of june in my area and some places in my surrounding areas. I got a job, but quit on the first day as soon as I found out it was door-to-door sales and based on commission. Apart from that, nothing at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending