The Student Room Group

Post university life- feeling lost :-(

So I feel like I have come to a standstill in my life and I don't know what to. I've had a lot of changes over the last year and I feel that over the last couple of months, everything has just got on top of me. A bit of background. I'm 25 and I graduated from university last July. I was working part time in retail during this time also. However although the job was ok and the people there were lovely, I felt it was time to move on and do something new. My degree was in business/ Recruitment related so ideally I wanted a job related to that. But unfortunately I have no work experience in that area so finding a job in that area is really difficult. So I got a job at a call centre. At the start I thought the job was good. But now (8 months in), I feel it is making me unhappy. The people I work with are nice but I just feel I don't fit in and I don't have much in common with the people I work with. The job is also really stressful at times which I feel is having an impact on my health. I am also feeling really lonely. I haven't made many friends at work and a lot of my other friends have moved away/ are in long term relationships so I don't see them hardly anymore. I was also seeing someone off/ on for about a year last year but he moved abroad to start a new life. We had also been friends for a few years before this. I realise now I should have ended things way before as we hardly saw each other and I feel I cared for him way more than he did me. When he left, it also hit me harder than i ever thought it would. We still speak on occasion but he has moved on now and although we were friends before we dated it's just not the same anymore. I also live at home which I have done while I was at uni also. My home life can be quite stressful also. My mum is an alcoholic and has been for around 8 years. This made uni/ working life quite stressful but because I was always quite busy, I don't think I felt the impact it had on me so much. But now I just feel I can't live in this environment anymore.its got to the point where she drinks nearly everyday and you never know what your going to come home to. It's like your walking on eggshells all the time. I have saved a bit and want to move away to a different city as I have lived in my hometown all my life. However my mum has recently lost her job due to her alcohol issues which means if I leave my mum and sister will struggle financially (at the moment me and my sister work full time and use earnings to pay bills, rent etc) and I would feel guilty for leaving them in this situation. Also my mum is 64 so the likelihood of her getting another job and keeping it, I feel is quite slim. I have also started up running and have signed up for a few races which does help me feel better. I'm just not sure what to do. I am grateful I have a job, have somewhere to live etc don't get me wrong but I just feel so down and unhappy.

Anyone felt like this after uni? Should I move or travel? How to improve my situation? Any help/ Suggestions please :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending