The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's just personal preference from what I hear, you'll get used top whichever, however AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG PEOPLE, but I think if you get a manual license you can drive autos but if you get an auto license you can't drive manuals legally?

If I'm right I'd recommend the manual lessons
Definitely easier to learn to drive automatics. The hardest thing about driving is mastering the clutch.

Person above is right though. If you pass your test with an automatic, you can only drive automatics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Manual lessons are much better, since you can then drive both shifts after.

Honestly, it doesn't take long to get the hang of clutch control and gear shifts - it's second nature before you even pass your test (or at least it was for me and should be).

And considering the fact automatic lessons are more expensive - I don't see the point, really.
Original post by Cascadess
I think it's just personal preference from what I hear, you'll get used top whichever, however AND CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG PEOPLE, but I think if you get a manual license you can drive autos but if you get an auto license you can't drive manuals legally?

This is correct, I have a manual licence but I drive an automatic now. Having an automatic licence means you can't drive a manual.
Original post by Sternumator
Definitely easier to learn to drive automatics. The hardest thing about driving is mastering the clutch.

Person above is right though. If you pass your test with an automatic, you can only drive automatics.

Original post by rainbow.panda
This is correct, I have a manual licence but I drive an automatic now. Having an automatic licence means you can't drive a manual.

Thanks both for the confirmation! :biggrin:
I'm beyond terrible at driving a manual (it's a miracle I even passed my test) and I switched to automatic fairly quickly after getting my licence. Driving an automatic is much easier but a manual licence entitles you to drive both manual and automatic so honestly it's more worthwhile.
Reply 7
Original post by Alexion
Manual lessons are much better, since you can then drive both shifts after.

Honestly, it doesn't take long to get the hang of clutch control and gear shifts - it's second nature before you even pass your test (or at least it was for me and should be).

And considering the fact automatic lessons are more expensive - I don't see the point, really.

I question whether my coordination skills are good enough for a manual after hearing all the horror stories of people stalling, haha; think I'll start off with manual then, how long did it take you to pass?
I've always been told that, even if you want to drive an automatic for the rest of your life, you should learn in a manual. We aren't in the US so it's pretty unusual to only learn in an automatic. They are definitely easier to drive, though what would you do if you had to drive a friend's manual car in an emergency, or you are applying for a job where you are given a manual car?

I would start learning in a manual and if you are having major issues with the clutch then change to automatic. You can re-take the test in a manual car if you want later.
Original post by StudyQueen
I question whether my coordination skills are good enough for a manual after hearing all the horror stories of people stalling, haha; think I'll start off with manual then, how long did it take you to pass?

I'm actually not driving even though I am far gone the age, but i have watched all my friends pass in about a year to a year and a half (some managed in under a year) :smile:
Reply 10

Original post by Sternumator

thanks for letting me know guys! :smile:
Reply 11
I'm actually not driving even though I am far gone the age, but i have watched all my friends pass in about a year to a year and a half (some managed in under a year) :smile:

that's actually such a long time :eek:
that's actually such a long time :eek:

That is with very irregular lessons though, I'm sure just doing more lessons per month would get you through faster :P
Reply 13
I'm beyond terrible at driving a manual (it's a miracle I even passed my test) and I switched to automatic fairly quickly after getting my licence. Driving an automatic is much easier but a manual licence entitles you to drive both manual and automatic so honestly it's more worthwhile.

I think I'll probably be beyond beyond terrible, and how long did it take you to pass the manual?
I think I'll probably be beyond beyond terrible, and how long did it take you to pass the manual?

I think it was about 2 years but I did have a few months gap where I didn't have any lessons, and even then I got 12 minors. Still worth it though.
Significantly easier, albeit after time driving a manual isn't difficult, but certainly in prolonged stop/start traffic it's less hassle.

I'd learn in a manual though. I took me about a year to pass (bit irregular on lessons) albeit in a diesel which is again somewhat easier than a petrol I realized after the fact. I've driven an automatic sense purely because I got the car for free, but I drove 4 different manual petrol company cars in as many days recently, which was an experience, but you quickly get to grips with it.

I did 22 hours of lessons across 7 months :cute: with practice in between in me mum's car
Much easier. :smile:
Reply 18
Depends how often you have lessons, I had lessons once a week and passed in 9 months :tongue:
It is much easier to drive an automatic, but it is very useful to learn how to drive a manual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest