Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What is going to happen to me after Brexit?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I live in England and moved here with my family 5-6 years ago from Germany as an EU citizen. We dont have permanent residency here, but I have a german passport.
    I finished my A-levels this year and will be applying for university next year, and I have a younger sibling who's currently doing A-levels.
    My mother currently doesnt work and is on disability allowance and on benefits, and we live in a council house. Because of this I am afraid we might asked to return to Germany.
    Can someone please tell me what's likely going to happen to my family and I?
    my mother's currently applying for permanent residency, but how likely is it that they'll accept our request.
    And will universities now prefer British citizens over EU citizens.
    And finally, would it be possible for me to apply for permanent residency myself (im 19), and if yes what are the conditions and how likely is it that I will receive it?

Many thanks!
    Enjoy your weekend.

It depends on the outcome of the negotiations between the UK and EU.

There are also many UK citizens in the EU who have various rights, and the EU are likely to treat them the same way the UK treats EU citizens here.

If you are applying to university next year, there is unlikely to be any difference in the situation by the time you go to university.

As far as I am aware, and I don't know much, if you have been living in the UK for over 5 years you are entitled to apply for a British passport, become a British citizen. Your mother as well. I just did a quick goggle search, and it looks like Germany is against the idea of duel nationalities, you should look it up, as accepting the British nationality might inadvertently invalidate your German one.

"You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if:

you’re 18 or over

you’re of good character, eg you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years

you’ll continue to live in the UK

you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements

you meet the residency requirement

And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application

spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years

spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months

been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK (this means there’s no specific date that you have to leave) or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national (and you have a permanent residence card or document that shows you have permanent residence)had indefinite leave to stay in the UK for the last 12 months (or permanent residence if you’re an EEA national with a permanent residence card or document that shows you have permanent residence)not broken any immigration laws while in the UK"

The world is going to end, or so I got told.

You, your family and others like you will be rounded up put into trains and transported to holiday camps and upon arrival you will all be made to undress and go into a big communal shower it's just to ensure your clean and don't spread infection, you don't need to worry it's nothing sinister.

In all honesty though i'm pretty sure those non British EU residents currently living in the UK will be guaranteed the option of staying if they want to (as long as they have been working or in education for the majority of the time anyway), they are not going to start kicking out people who are already here there would be an outcry.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.