The Student Room Group

D Of E Award

To what extent does the Duke Of Edinburgh award contribute to getting a place at universities?
D of e award is a big factor and well respected ... higher chance if u have d of e

Apparently some people have jobs on the strength of d of e award

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities are not interested in non subject relevant extra curricular activities. Even those that are interested in seeing a well rounded applicant aren't interested in the award itself as much as your specific experiences, the roles you took on and your reflections on what you learned and what you would do differently.

Don't do DoE because you think it will help with university admissions - devoting similar effort to subject specific extra curriculars or reading will offer more of an advantage.

Do DoE because you think it will be fun and interesting.
Reply 3
Original post by tasha_tah
D of e award is a big factor and well respected ... higher chance if u have d of e

Apparently some people have jobs on the strength of d of e award

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Just do it if you enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Nope. Just do it if you enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeh...i did it n it n it's a fantastic experience...
U won't know till u try :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
My sister did it. I dont see the point tbh. Universities wont offer you a place just because of the DofE. I think colleges should make it clear to students to not be dependent on these sort of awards, your actual subjects weigh far more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A321
My sister did it. I dont see the point tbh. Universities wont offer you a place just because of the DofE. I think colleges should make it clear to students to not be dependent on these sort of awards, your actual subjects weigh far more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh well obviously grades r the most important
D of e just teaches u different skills n gets u to be more independent
It's also a.lot.of.fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by A321

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no university lists DoE on their entry requirements. So all applicants need to do is check the course requirements....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Well no university lists DoE on their entry requirements. So all applicants need to do is check the course requirements....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, but there must be a narrative coming from somewhere saying that you need to have various extra-curriculars to get in to university, given how commonly this is asked.
Original post by A321

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i don't think many people do it for that reason. most people do D of E for fun and to get a good memorable experience out of it, just like I did.
Original post by Smack
Agreed, but there must be a narrative coming from somewhere saying that you need to have various extra-curriculars to get in to university, given how commonly this is asked.

I feel like this narrative would come mainly from the extra-curricular providers themselves
Original post by Smack

It's DoE who promote the myth: http://www.dofe.info/en/content/cms/parents/benefits/

And teachers/careers advisers who buy in and repeat it wholesale.

It's like NCS - UCAS "recommend mentioning NCS in your PS" (ie they say you can't mention it anywhere else) and that is presented as an endorsement of the scheme for university entry: http://www.ncsyes.co.uk/teachers-ncs and https://www.facebook.com/ncs/posts/485817054821947 and https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/my-ncs-experience

I don't understand why teachers and organisations offering these experiences are so determined to mis-sell them to applicants instead of just being honest and saying what the experience offers (and not what the certificate might or might not do).
Reply 12
Original post by Smack

Original post by PQ
It's DoE who promote the myth: http://www.dofe.info/en/content/cms/parents/benefits/

And teachers/careers advisers who buy in and repeat it wholesale.

And when 300,000 per year are doing it, it's not much of a differentiator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending