Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got a First Class Degree but a lot of my family are extremely jealous. What to do?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by marco14196)
    A first class in WHAT though? Not all degrees are created equal at the end of the day
    Not just degrees, but the university too. Unis with lower entry requirements tend to be easier. It's common logic.

I know of friends who had firsts at bottom of the ranking unis and some who had 2:1s at RG unis. The difference in standard of work for similar subjects was shocking.

(Original post by samklipas0)
    Why do you care anyway? I could have easily have just made that up
    Cus', boredom.

(Original post by samklipas0)

So I recently received my results and was awarded an overall First class degree. I was expecting this and I fully deserved it for all my hard work and effort and I was proud and happy for it.

After telling all my cousins and family about it - a lot of them were noticeably very jealous. They were saying "Oh" or even not congratulating me and this really annoyed me and upset me. The people who I have done favours for and the people who I thought would share the same love and support I had for them - just did not seem happy for me. A lot of my school friends, however felt happy for me.

The thing is, this in itself has already put me off. If the people who I call family, are noticably jealous of my success, what do I do in the future when I get married, get my first house and also go through my worries in my life? I don't think they will support me in tough times if they can't even simply congratulate me! It is shocking.

I know people will say "forget them" or "you don't need them" - but that is easier said than done.

What should I do?
    **** them off. Grow a back bone. If my family did that I'd only make polite chat, nothing more or ever help them. But that's me who bends over backwards to help, if not reciprocated, I **** them off. Easy. Most people have this in family.

You have friends, they were happy, they'll be there for you, always happy with your progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.