The Student Room Group

59.3% and given a 2:2 :( boo

Hey everybody. I just received my average mark back for my university studies to find out how close I was to getting a 2:1.

I am gutted due to the fact my average mark for 3rd year was 40.4% and average mark for 4th year was high sixty's however my 3rd year marks brought my grade down to a 2:2 :frown:

I was all set to join the RAF in 3rd year and did not care what grade I got which has caused me the grief so I guess it is my fault, however I have saw a few companies which take on Accounting graduate's with 2:2's however what other companies are there please...?

:eek:
can u not appeal to your uni? At Nottingham 59 is considered a boundary mark so you would have got a 2.1. Maybe large high street firms would, but none of the big boys.
Reply 2
You're sometimes required to have X amount of classifications to be considered for a viva/shifted up a boundary.

Sucks though, sorry to hear :frown:
Reply 3
Thats harsh, very harsh!

However, there has to be a boundary somewhere and unfortunately you fell short. I would definitely try appealing. Word of caution though, last year one of my friends got 59.5% and got awarded a 2.2. He appealed twice to no avail.

Try as many mid-tier firms as possible. Go to accountancyage top 50 and reel them off one by one.

Good Luck!
Reply 4
Thanks guys, in relation to what you said. I got 5 merits in my last semester and the rest of my marks were in 60% apart from 1 so I think I should appeal to see :frown:

It's so annoying how they cant just give u a 2:2 since I worked so hard in my fourth year. And yes I know I should have worked in 3rd year but I honestly thought I was on my way out of there after 3rd year and did not care.
Reply 5
You could always be a little selective with what you tell firms. Point out that you got a high 2:1 in your final year, and how close you were to a 2:1 overall. Since some universities only classify each year separately, and not into an overall amount, you could easily use that to show that you're a good candidate even if you got a 2:2 overall. Unless they autofilter (as many do, but it's worth a try), getting a high 2:1 in your final year but a high 2:2 overall could be considered a better employment prospect than very low 2:1s straight through.
Reply 6
My friend was 2% below what he needed for a 2.1, yet they bumped him up (this is at warwick uni, physics)

very harsh how there isnt a standard

He had similar marks to you in second year, and showed the same improvement
Reply 7
bumped him up meaning he got a 2:1?
Ecossewarrior
bumped him up meaning he got a 2:1?

yes obviously!
Reply 9
To the OP, you should seriously consider making an appeal to the school where you're at. 59.3% and be given a 2.2 does sound extremly harsh. Find your tutor and speak to him. They surely could help to get you a 2.1.
Reply 10
Oh and Lorrybeep I have tried that but she said there would be no point due to the rules and regulation! I have e-mailed a leader on another course "Business Finance" because I might be able to transfer onto their course in time for graduation because my friend got 59% on that course and got a 2:1. I just feel I am being made a fool of! surely for the sake of not even a percent they can sort it
Ecossewarrior
Oh and Lorrybeep I have tried that but she said there would be no point due to the rules and regulation! I have e-mailed a leader on another course "Business Finance" because I might be able to transfer onto their course in time for graduation because my friend got 59% on that course and got a 2:1. I just feel I am being made a fool of! surely for the sake of not even a percent they can sort it

No point trying to transfer courses after 3 years of study!!!! It's far too late and they wouldn't let you anyway. Forget about what your tutor said. Go see the dean. If the dean rejects you, go see someone in a higher position and so on. Cut off the middle men. Don't take their words for granted as they might always use the schoolhandbook as an excuse to avoid red tapes. Pick one or a couple of modules which you think you did well on or could've scored more marks on courseworks or exams. Go see the lecturers of those modules and explain your situation. They might be able to give you a few more marks, making it a 2.1. At the end of the day it's your degree. You will have to convince them that you deserve a 2.1 especially when you're that close. Do it asap.

There surely are exceptions to the rules. 2.1 and 2.2 is a huge difference. There are many unis who actually care about their students' careers and are more than willing to give out a 2.1 to someone at the borderline.
You need to lodge a direct appeal with the chair of the board of studies. Immediately!
Reply 13
just go get a reference from your personal tutor and senior member of your uni/department..its happend at ucl and they've managed to get a 2.1
I got into big4 with a 2:2 and I know of several other people who have. It's just getting the initial interview thats hard;once you've passed that hurdle your degree result isn't a major factor in the decision.
Reply 15
For the Big 4 firms don't you put down your result for each year seperately? So you could put down 2:1 for your final year then explain the situation in the interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending