The Student Room Group

Bad feelings

I have a feeling some vets at my local practice don't like me very much, or don't want me there. I have been going to a mixed practice for two years, and in all that time Ive got on well with everyone and been encouraged. I used to love spending my time there. However, last year because I didn't get the grades for vet school, I began a forensic science degree instead, with the intent to apply to vet school after graduation. I am still doing work experience while at uni. This week I went back to the practice and although some of the vets were glad to see me back, one just huffed and said to me "Why have you come back, why do you still want to be a vet when you're at uni doing something else." The nurse was with her in the ops room with me and she ignored me and just told me to go and find a vet to see consults with. I thought nothing of it until I went into the ops room to collect a syringe, and they both looked at me, stopped talking and had a bitchy look on their faces. I felt humiliated.

I also told one another vet about my interest in pathology and he said "or after your degree surely you'll just be better off getting a job instead of bothering with vet school." I couldnt believe it. They used to be so encouraging and friendly, two years Ive known them, but this week I've felt like I shouldn't be there. I was there this morning but Im just going home this afternoon because I don't want to feel like this anymore. In fact I dont want to go back to the practice at all. This has really put me off small animal practices, especially as I remember the nurse last year saying "it gets very bitchy in small practices like this." I've seen it for myself and its not nice. I just want to go home today and hopefully look for somewhere better :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I feel for you hun :frown: This week im at a practice, everyones nice except the practice principal who is a snotty cow who locks herself in her office all day and she doesnt allow coffee breaks until lunch(and wonders why everyone dies!) but as soon as she goes out we have coffee heheh the nice vet bought us eclairs.
Shes probably one of those people who loves animals but is really bad with people so she connects better with the animals
i got in a bad situation like that last year.

i'd been at the vets about 4 days, was watchin an op with a vet, kate, and she closed up but there was still blood coming OUT of the wound, after she'd cleaned it and turned away to walk away. so not thinking i said 'is that blood coming out of there?' and she turned with a look of ice on her face and said 'if i cut YOU open, you'd be bleeding. i was like erm... ok

then on the last day i was watchin an op with her and she checked the wound and went to the nurse 'no blood around is there?'. which was blatantly a dig at me.

i left like :s

x
^^EW! I dont think people realise that work experience people aren't used to doing things that theyve got the knack of because theyve done it for so long. Women are often worse i find, but ive not come across many on w/e.
LOL!!!

but i cant understand why she bit my head off? maybe it was because she thought i was slagging off her work or something? but thing is there WAS blood coming out of the wound (where she'd stitched up) and ive heard of a couple of dogs through my mams friends (dog breeders) who've had bitches bleed to death through missing stitches etc. (not that i considered this happening, just thought it shouldnt be bleeding lol)

x
Reply 5
I just don't understand why some of them have been so stand-offish. We all used to get on great, we'd sit around together during coffee breaks and have a laugh. This week it was very different and I've decided not to go back for the rest of the week. Whether they were talking about me behind my back or not, it still feels horrible to have reasons for suspicion. I'm determined not to let it put me off but I can't deny I felt really upset when I got home today. I may be just a young work experience student but I have a lot of respect for vets so this pisses me off.
Well get this i passed out on my firat day at a mixed practice and i mean i went timbbbeeeeeer right in the outdoor operating theatre and there was only me and the vet he was scrubbed in so couldn't touch me or nothing!! He had to leave the awake sheep i was holding and go find a nurse!! I was so embarrased but it was eird becoz ive seen an operation before and i have had dead things at home and some of my chickens got slaughtered by a badger last year and i had to clean everytin up so i dont no why i fainted it was a sheep having a vasectamy so not realy any blood but now every time i think about it i feel funny inside i am really nervous. oh yea this was 1st thing in the morning and i hadnt eaten so that may have helped as I had some food, then went back out and watched him do another opbut ut didnt look good and as i left at the end of the week the head vet said "well i hope we put you off after your 1st day" to which i responded 'no im back in two months for another 3 weeks' he just looked very confused and told me to eat breakfast next time!! Dont let them bother you they will repect you more if you persevere and prove to them its what YOU WANT if you leave they have won!! This a bit of an essay but it has an important motto and that is PERSEVER!
Reply 7
the only day i felt ill during my work experience ata vets was the first day, the only one that i ate breakfast on! it wasnt the operation though, it was just all day long i kept getting really hot and shaky. Then when a different vet came a couple of days later they knew about it and kept asking if i was okay whenever they did anything. Bit embarrasing but they were just being nice
Its still embarassin and my mum was like are you sure its the right carreer and i know it is i just need to get over it as i have sort of lost my confidence
Reply 9
That happened to me on one random day in like theatre cos it was really really hot, n i started to feel faint and had to leave the room to go outside, and i felt like a bit of a wuss and like they'd judge me like clearly not vet material, when im fine with blood etc etc, it was jus that particular day.

And as for them making you feel bad, quite a few of the nurses when i was on small animal work experience were snappy and stuff and made me feel like they didnt have time for me, which in turn made me less keen to ask questions. Also, by the time i'd cleaned kennels etc, id start to watch consults for a bit, then theyd ask me to hoover and mop the entire practice like when most of the vets and other nurses had gone home. Also there was this one occassion when was like literally squirting blood and diarrhoea (sp) all over the room, and the et was un-fased like o deary me etc, and i thought il wait til the vets finished the examination and gives me the ok that its safe for me to start cleaning up after it before i do, next thing the nurse walks in and has a big go at me for not cleaning it up straight away! Nearly cried, cos i thought really hard like o what would the vet want me to do here, and turns out i didnt do the right thing pffff.
I saw a case where a farmer had stabbed his calf in the rhumen (stomach) something to do with the lymph glands i didnt want to ask too many questions with the farmer around but afterwards i didnt shut up i was so confused but the vet reassured me it may not have been practical but it did save its life!! If i had a cow that started blowing up i dont think stabbing it would have crossed my mind but well what ever needs to be done but yeah oh my god did the stench almost kill me!!
Anyway different matter now... The place where i saw all this was where i passed out yet when i was at a small animal practice only a day every now and then i made the effort to learn their names and was realy polite i explained i wanted to be a vet not a vet nurse and still they had me doing all the realy grotty vet nurse jobs and i know this makes me sound so stuck up and im not i play full contact rugby so im not affraid of getting stuck in and doing the mucky jobs i just realy wanted to actually see what the vet does all day not the nurses jobs!! oh yeah ther was like two nurses to each vet so there was plenty of them yet i had to clean the whole operating theatre on my own and miss out on consults with the vet i think that they deliberatly tried to put me off and give me really grotty jobs just my opinion but on my 3rd day after an operation they made me clean the table and in the blood well there was like a piece of guts which didnt bother me i jus laughed but there was no way it could have drained into there the gap was tiny so how did it get there.. hmm i did wander... yeah well it didnt work im goin back in 6 weeks for another week dont let them put you off they are more likely to give you a better reference if you sho determination:smile:
Reply 11
God it's really bad that so many of us have had bad experiences as practice. I felt the same jess like i was just being used so the nurses would have an easier life, rather than them allowing me to use the time to gain the best experience I could, i mean I know there's give and take but there is a limit.

Is it really always bitchy lessthanthree, like evn at vet school? And when you qualify, surely the nurses can't still try to use you etc? :mad:

O wellll, ill get over it and one day set up my own practice in peace and harmony :p: , but in all seriouesness, if i make it as a vet i'm going to try to remember how i felt on work experience and really try to make theretime worthwile there and stuff
Wel they did pass there limit but i have no choice to go back as every where is full and the more i think bout it the more i want to act out revenge and im going to try and get really pally to the head vet on the first day that way he may actually invite me to follow him for the rest of it!!! Hmmm its a plan......
I couldnt work in a domestic animal practice its so boring!
today I watched this dog being put down and i cried about the owner crying but i didnt particularly mind the dog being dead, it was this 6 foot tough looking man with a tattoo crying his eyes out..

whatever job i end up doing i will treat the work experience people with respect
Reply 14
One of the most surprising things was when I said I would still like to be a vet, and I was really keen on RVC. The response I got (from the senior vet) was "I don't think you'll have much chance there, English vet schools aren't keen on Scottish students."

Unbelievable.
Such a shame people have been having unpleasant experiences. I'm now employed over the summer at the vets covering holiday for nurses and we've got work experience in at the moment; it feels so weird now being the one showing THEM what to do! It feels like it wasn't so long ago that was me.

I used to be at a practice which was very bitchy so i sympathise with you all, but the ARE nice practices out there- i'm at one at the moment!

I just get on so well with everyone there. It's a small practice (2 vet, 4/5 nurse) and i have loads of resposnibility and get treated like one of the team.
We have a great social life together- we're always going out for drinks, meals, paintballing etc. This weekend we all went to a theme park for the day and went clubbing in the evening! I ended up carrying my boss (head vet) home cos she was so drunk, and we all stayed overnight at one of the nurse's houses.
Oh and they even paid for me to attend the BSAVA conference!

Some things i've learnt are that firstly you absolutely have to be prepared to do mucky jobs- although you should also get to see a lot of practice and there seems to be, for some of you, a fine line between being helpful and feeling "used".
Second, it will get better with time, and respect is something which you will earn in the practice. On my first day they said "don't touch the animals".... now the vets will always call on me to restrain animals (even difficult ones) and i'm even allowed to do things like dose & prepare pre-meds/anastethics etc.
A lot of practices have had bad experiences with W/E people. Some don't even want to be there, and say "their school made them" and walk round carrying their bag all day; some have randomly taken animals out up the road for a walk without even asking! So i suppose i can see it from their point of view. It's not your fault, and you shouldn't have to prove your worth, but in some places you might, and once they see they're onto a good student things are likely to get better from there.

Shockley- i'm really sorry about your situation. i would try and persevere for a bit- make it clear you're still determined and see what happens; if not maybe find a new practice.
wow sorry this was so long!!!!!!
Reply 16
Thats awful! The only bad thing Ive ever had was a practice manager who was a slight cow to put it lightly. There were 2, one was strict but lovely if you stuck to the rules. The other one was the wife of one of the senior partners and was so arrogant and stuck up it was untrue! I could be watching a really unusual op and she would scream at me to go to the office cos she wanted me to put letters in envelopes! Grrr!!!

As for the nurses, they were all actually completely lovely. Some of them would snap at me occasionally if they were stressed but thats understandable. And yes they did ask me to clean a lot but in all fairness, if the vet was doing something particularly interesting and I asked to stay to watch, they were really good about it! Theres a definite pecking order but nothing too horrible. In some ways, i think if I was a vet in a practice and wasnt busy, Id want to help the nurses clean and stuff cos very often 3 or 4 nurses would be running round like headless chickens cleaning and getting consult rooms ready whilst the vets were swanning round drinking coffee and walking over newly mopped floors in big muddy boots!

Dont think Ive ever met a bitchy vet...yet! lol. I thought one of the female vets was a bit off with me as she was very short with me and ignored me a lot. Turned out she was just quite shy and once I got to know her she was really good fun!
Yeah at my local practice there is only one vet and two nurses at a time so i volunteer to do all the cleaning and mucky jobs just so i have something to do, and they let mego home at lunch cos theres never anything to do until 5 o clock after opps. I do get to watch a lot of consults though :smile:
The real world is bitchy. If you find yourself working around people who are constantly cheerful and nice then good for you, but it's likely you'll find people who dislike for whatever reasons and you'll just have to live with it and move on. In vet school, there will be people who are nice and people who are bitchy.

Vet schools are usually smaller in number (of students) than in other parts of uni, so in a way it can be like high school. Rumours spread fast, and as Lessthanthree said, vet school is probably the bitchiest course you can get into. It's all part of the fun. :rolleyes:
I think its important for vet students to learn how to do nurses jobs like restraining animals, dematts, aludex baths, running bloods ect: not just watching ops and consults. The HN where i am at the minute said its suprising how many vets qaulify unable to do simple things like that and you learn them in the first couple of years from the nurses, not just by shadowing the vets all the time. I don't see why people have such a big problem with cleaning kennels - like sombody said earlier, its stuff to do inbetween!

I agree there are nice practices out there - I've managed to find two! On my very first day I felt faint in theatre because of the heat and everybody was really nice - telling me about nurses who used to faint lol! I agree you guys should stick out the bitchiness. Maybe when they get to know you better they will stop feeling the need to be bitchy and get over whatever their problem is.

I supose theres bitchiness in every careerpath! C'est la vie!

Latest

Trending

Trending