The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what are aludex baths?
at the practice i went to the nurses only did really basic stuff, there wasnt much happening. Neither of them were qualified. one was going to college one day a week, and the other was a 16 year old who had just left school the year before. Also the whole time i was there none of the kennels got dirty! All teh cleaning i had to do was just changing one clean thing for another.
I did have to do a lot of washing though. I did all the washing for two weeks and found my self sitting by the machine witing for it to finish so i could hang the stuff up and do another load, just to have something to do.
I agree with the fact that we as vet students actually learn a lot from the nurses. In HK, all the vet nurses you find in clinics (all practises in HK are private clinics) are not qualified and are trained on the job, and they act as translaters because most vets are foreigners and most of our clients can't speak English. But if the nurses have been trained in good practises, they can be very knowledgable in terms of husbandry, restraint, surgury assistance, hospital care, drugs etc. They probably don't understand the pharmacology behind the drugs or anatomical stuff in detail, but they know which drugs are likely to be used in what cases and the surgical preparations and suture materials required at different times.

When I see practice I basically work as a vet nurse and I have huge respect for the nurses I work with because they are really well-trained, esp. when dealing with annoying clients............
Reply 22
I totally agree...I've learnt loads from nurses. The last practice I was at had a bit of a..er...pain for a head vet, and one of the nurses quit and ran out crying on one of the days I was there, but he wasn't too bad if you just kept out of his way. Luckily, there were other vets there who were really lovely, as were the nurses. The first practice I was at EVERYONE was so amazingly nice, I guess I kind of expected everywhere to be the same...but the real world isn't like that, sadly.
Anyway, I really enjoyed helping out the nurses - it's so important to know about the basics and about the day to day care of animals as well. To be honest, the last practice I was at weren't too good at keeping me busy, so I was always asking the nurses if I could help them with anything.
Baths to get rid of demodex, which are little mites.

You have to walk before you can run - vet students should master the basics before attempting the more advanced procedures!
well said- i learnt alot from the nurses and still am. I tend to find that the nurses explain things better and in less 'technological' terms so i can understand what they're going on about and they tendto be more helpful when you ask qs. i sometimes get 'theres many causes' from the vet but the nurse goes through them and explains properly which are more likely etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending