The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

North and South divide

Honestly I feel like there is a real divide between the North and the South of England.
On one hand you have London which looks like a completely different country with it's wealth and everything going for it. Then other richer parts of the South like Surrey and Bath.

Then you have some Northern Towns that have completely been forgotten they have lost their main industries and there are shops closing down everywhere in town. Towns such as Bolton, Wigan, Grimsby, Rotherham, Doncaster and lots of others are so poor and grim. I feel like wealth is only concentrated in London and the South and not to Nothern Towns that have been forgotten.
Many people in Northern Towns and cities have voted out to stick two fingers up at the establishment because for far too long they have been ignored by Westminster. I don't really blame them as I have seen what the cuts have done to those towns and cities and people there have a right to be angry and I'm so pissed off when some remainers and the media say these people are racist! they are not racist! they have suffered from Tory austerity. Their traditional industries have closed down leaving many unemployed and reliant on benefits.

A typical Northern town

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Southern accents are terrible.
Reply 2
Southern towns are lovely! Devon, Cornwall and Somerset are really pretty parts of the country.. But they all have shops closing down all over as well, the difference is we don't have giant malls like the Metro Centre or Meadowhall. My only issue with the north is the lack of urban green space!
In my eyes, the North-South divide is changing rapidly. I would put places like Newcastle, Manchester and York in with the south, whilst Slough and Swindon belong with the north. The real divide is now between the "metropolitan" areas and smaller towns and cities.
Up the North, chips and gravy!!
Reply 5
Original post by Jee1
Honestly I feel like there is a real divide between the North and the South of England.

Wow! An original thought!... never heard that one before.

There are hundreds of towns in the south that look identical to that image. Plenty of the south has been neglected - the south isn't just London and the home counties.

And anyway... So? What's your point? This is a debate forum, what are you saying, what question are you posing?
(edited 7 years ago)
the north/scotland/most of london:

the south/england:
Reply 7
As a Northerner I have an innate dislike of Southerners, especially Londoners (with the odd exception). Their attitude and the way they do things annoys me terribly. Example: Paying for a pint by card. I wouldn't live down there if you paid me.
Yeah the South is run by Cersei so is on the way down, whereas The North knows no king but the king in the north, whose name is STARK!

But Truly.. its Laaaandon bruv.. All the Celebs, all the buisness, all the showbiz, all the money, all the goverments, is in london.. thats why it prospers. Around Europe people know where London is, who knows where Leeds is?

but saying that i think other parts are improving rapidly, Birmingham is quite popular, Manny is on the rise.. I mean Newcastle is historically big, but i think its quite dull up north, the accents are awful and the people are quite vulgar, the ones i have meet any way.. lol..

look at the contrast in most things for example,,, Geordie Shore vs, MIC... The football teams, Sunderland v Arsenal/Chelsea/ Spurs.... The food, The language.. South is where the moneys at.. and as the reggae tune goes, MONEY RUN TINGS!!
I don't think it is so much a North South thing as a affluent/up and coming vs poor/ going down the Sh!!tter type of thing.
I think the biggest mistake Cameron and the remain group made was not realising the sense of being left behind that the millions of people on low incomes and zero hours contracts feel, let alone the unemployed.
They seemed to forget they had a vote too.
This disconnection was most stark for me when they warned that house prices would fall.😱.
For millions of people, people that had a vote, they felt they had nothing to loose and if house prices and rents came down, all the better.
Reply 10
Original post by ATW1
As a Northerner I have an innate dislike of Southerners, especially Londoners (with the odd exception). Their attitude and the way they do things annoys me terribly. Example: Paying for a pint by card. I wouldn't live down there if you paid me.

This southerner has never paid for a pint by card and never will, thank you very much. There is nothing more irritating than being held up at the bar by some yuppie tosspot who deems himself above carrying cash.
Original post by Wōden
This southerner has never paid for a pint by card and never will, thank you very much. There is nothing more irritating than being held up at the bar by some yuppie tosspot who deems himself above carrying cash.

Lol, sometimes people forget to get cash. Chill the **** out. Jesus...
I live in North Somerset, and yes my village is pretty middle class. As we have horses we do know some 'posh' people through pony club and eventing. But that's not todo with where we live, and there are some pretty grim areas in Bristol. Where we Live is nothing like the Home Counties, the south isn't all like London!!!
It wasn't a north and south divide.. it was a unaffected and affected divide. I mean the people directly affected in every day life opposed to the people who are living life quite merrily without a care in the world, except change!! Add into this those who benefit and those who don't benefit from how things are atm.

The main affects are due to Immigration of course and the major factor for many people leave vote.

The main remain vote was due to uncertainty and not wanting their lives to change (be affected) ie "pull the ladder up Jack, sod the rest!"

So basically is was a rich vs poor divide.. let's just cut to the chase!
Fail by the OP.

Zoom in on the picture and you'll see The Potteries Shopping Centre in the background which is in Stoke-on-Trent, the Midlands.
It's were the queen is, she pimp as ****. Get used to it. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The funny part is that the North received the most EU funding in the UK.*

On the other-hand, the Tory Government spends 24 times per head on Londoners. *

Northerners can look forward to even more desolation. Who are they going to blame next?*
Original post by Wōden

Yeh. God forbid using contactless which is much quicker than carrying around cash with you.*
Reply 18
The North used to be the centre of British manufacturing creating ceramics, weapons and textiles to the rest of the empire and the world. However, times have changed. The U.K. has become a service based economy centred on financial services in the City and other IT firms in the south. The manufacturing done for British firms has been outsourced from the North to China and other developing countries. In order to fix this the UK could try to lower costs for firms and to create factories by subsidising (e.g. Nissan Sunderland Plant) or devolve power from London to the North (BBC HQ moving from London to Salford). In my opinion, the chancellor is doing the right thing promoting a northern powerhouse and investment in the 'northern powerhouse', yet it is unlikely to be successful due to uncertainty caused by recent events and the fact that Osbourne is unlikely to be the chancellor after a new PM is elected meaning that priorities would be switched from creating a 'northern powerhouse' to preventing recession and unemployment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
London is only rich due to the City and kensington. London has many poor places, like Brent, Hackney, Haringay, etc.

there is no north/south divide imho. and it's not as simple as saying that the government only focuses on London. London was run down until the 1980s, and it took the Docklands and repositioning of the City of London to make it what it is now.

and places like Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Sunderland have received a lot of regeneration once their industries closed down, Manchester is called "hip" for a reason.

Latest

Trending

Trending