The Student Room Group

My dad disapproves of doing Sociology at uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InvestmentBankin
Okay do not get so upset. This just shows your insecurity as a historian. You must admit that both rank pretty low in terms of employability (which is what OP was asking about) as compared to STEM subjects. In fact, all social sciences and humanities rank similarly in terms of employability. It is also better to have a Sociology degree from Oxford than a History one from, say, Edinburgh. If both History and Sociology bachelors were from Oxbridge, to me it is the same intellectual level and I would personally regard them as such. I find it amusing when other humanities or social sciences students are looking down on Sociology.

Oxford doesn't offer Sociology

edit: are you sure you went there?
(edited 7 years ago)
OP: nike. just do it.
Original post by J.Page
Wow! Okay 😂 Bruvo 👏

Back to the original purpose of this discussion, a father is concerned about his child taking out a £27,000 loan to study something which at the end has comparatively lower paid jobs and also a sector which relies heavily on Gov. Spending and by the looks of things, the future for the economy is uncertain.

Anyway, good luck to the person who raised this issue but like I said original, do what you love.
Dw about what else I said because as this person has stated, it's all invalid.

Once again, Good Luck!

I'm not sure you're following, it's about selectiom bias on the part of graduates. A maths grad is no more qualified to sling PowerPoint's and excel models together in IBD than a maths grad is - but the latter is more likely to apply to those jobs. At the end of the day, 70-80% of grad jobs are degree agnostic - preferring candidates to have specific characteristics, skills and experience rather than a specific degree.*

There are only a few jobs available at the end of a Maths which a Sociology grad is unqualified for merely by being a sociology grad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending