The Student Room Group

AQA Comp4 Project Help

I am totally stumped on what project I am going to do for my AQA A-Level Computing CA. What kind of projects did you guys do and how hard does it have to be to get a A/A*?
Original post by kingcool52
I am totally stumped on what project I am going to do for my AQA A-Level Computing CA. What kind of projects did you guys do and how hard does it have to be to get a A/A*?

From the AQA website, there are lots of ideas:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/as-and-a-level/computer-science-7516-7517/subject-content-a-level/non-exam-assessment-the-computing-practical-project

Some examples of the types of problem to solve or investigate are:

a simulation for example, of a business or scientific nature, or an investigation of a well-known problem such as the game of life

a solution to a data processing problem for an organisation, such as membership systems

the solution of an optimisation problem, such as production of a rota, shortest-path problems or route finding

a computer game

an application of artificial intelligence

a control system, operated using a device such as an Arduino board

a website with dynamic content, driven by a database back-end

an app for a mobile phone or tablet

an investigation into an area of computing, such as rendering a three-dimensional world on screen

investigating an area of data science using, for example, Twitter feed data or online public data sets

investigating machine learning algorithms.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I was thinking of a stock control system. Would that fall under "a solution to a data processing problem for an organisation"?
Reply 3
I was thinking of a stock control system. Would that fall under "a solution to a data processing problem for an organisation"?

that wont get you A A*, as it's simple. It's just a create read update delete system. No complexity in it whatsoever

For COMP4 you can do pretty much whatever you want, however to get a good mark it must be a complex problem with a lot of data processing.

For mine I did a program to deal with the schools sports day results and information - I got an a* for this as it was very complex as many variables were involved (students details, results, calculating points etc.) and involved lots of SQL.

In summary your idea sounds ok, however you must make sure you have enough to make it complex so you have a lot to write about in your write up.

A friend of mine did a geography population program which displays populations for various countries with information pulled from an API - he also received an a*.

Good luck!
Original post by the_chosen_one97
For COMP4 you can do pretty much whatever you want, however to get a good mark it must be a complex problem with a lot of data processing.

For mine I did a program to deal with the schools sports day results and information - I got an a* for this as it was very complex as many variables were involved (students details, results, calculating points etc.) and involved lots of SQL.

In summary your idea sounds ok, however you must make sure you have enough to make it complex so you have a lot to write about in your write up.

A friend of mine did a geography population program which displays populations for various countries with information pulled from an API - he also received an a*.

Good luck!

My teacher recommended that I do it based on a company that’s actually real. I follow the eduqas board btw. Mines based on a takeaway and I’m making a mini form for each section in the kitchen that’s designated to making specific foods (for example, a station for pizza and another for burgers) and then it’ll show up on a bigger screen for customers to see if it’s ready to collect as an order number will show
Is this complex enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending