The Student Room Group

what degree should I do to be a PR?

Hi
I want to go in to PR after Uni, however, i don't think just a PR degree is the best option because I don't want to narrow my options too much for the future. I am thinking of doing Communications & PR or Communication & Marketing at Uni, but i am not sure what degree is best suited and useful, and also broad enough for a different career just in case. So any suggestions on what course I could/should take as an undergrad? I am sorry for the long explanation, but if anyone has taken one of these subjects or is doing PR as a career and can advise me, it would be hugely appreciated :smile:
Original post by HannahHiggs
Hi
I want to go in to PR after Uni, however, i don't think just a PR degree is the best option because I don't want to narrow my options too much for the future. I am thinking of doing Communications & PR or Communication & Marketing at Uni, but i am not sure what degree is best suited and useful, and also broad enough for a different career just in case. So any suggestions on what course I could/should take as an undergrad? I am sorry for the long explanation, but if anyone has taken one of these subjects or is doing PR as a career and can advise me, it would be hugely appreciated :smile:

It's not so much about the course title as whether it is recognised/accredited by the industry.

All accredited courses are listed here: https://www.cipr.co.uk/content/training-qualifications/cipr-recognised-degrees/university-course-list

It's a good idea to look round that site for more information and see what networking/internship opportunities they know of for student members.

Any course that is accredited and can offer a work placement will give you a headstart IF the placement is relevant and gives you the opportunity to put theory into practice. Don't be afraid to ask difficult questions about placements (how much support is offered, what companies and roles have been on offer in the past, what is the pay like, can you speak to students who have been on a placement etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending