The Student Room Group

Are the rumors true????

Hi!!!!!
I was looking at the specification of physics and found out some thing . Is it true that now u only do As for one year than u cannot do A level or u have to do whole two years for it????
The question isn't phrased in a way that can be easily understood, please explain what you mean.
Reply 2
Original post by shahida sulaiman
Hi!!!!!
I was looking at the specification of physics and found out some thing . Is it true that now u only do As for one year than u cannot do A level or u have to do whole two years for it????

For each subject you have to do an exam at the end of year 12. If you are doing AS for the subject the exam makes your final grade. If you are planning to continue the subject to A Levels the exam at the end of year 12 is worth nothing and instead you have lots of exams at the end of year 13.
Hope this helps!! :smile:
For physics:
You may be entered to an AS exam, but it won't count
Your exams in year 13 will count, the exams will have AS and A2 material in it
If you wish to do an AS level only you will have to sit it with your other subject's A2 exams in order to get a single qualification without doing the A2 for physics
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Basically the AS level in no longer necessary. It has no value and most schools won't teach it. It will only be used as a gauge of how well you are likely to do in your A-levels. Your AS results will no longer affect the overall out come of your A-level either. There are few subjects this will not effect for students starting them this year (one of these is maths) and next year there will be no AS levels. Blame Gove.
Reply 5
Well due to the reformed A Levels, there is no AS, therefore all the exams that count towards your final grade will be sat in year 13.
If you do one year of study, you get an AS from the results of 1st year exams. If you do two years of study you get an A level from the results of 2nd year exams
Original post by BobSausage
Basically the AS level in no longer necessary. It has no value and most schools won't teach it. It will only be used as a gauge of how well you are likely to do in your A-levels. Your AS results will no longer affect the overall out come of your A-level either. There are few subjects this will not effect for students starting them this year (one of these is maths) and next year there will be no AS levels. Blame Gove.

Original post by k1234j
For each subject you have to do an exam at the end of year 12. If you are doing AS for the subject the exam makes your final grade. If you are planning to continue the subject to A Levels the exam at the end of year 12 is worth nothing and instead you have lots of exams at the end of year 13.
Hope this helps!! :smile:
that's what I mean!!!!!!!

Original post by BrianMcEgg
Jesus this is phrased poorly, but in terms of the new a-levels if your course is being changed this year then you will have to do the full two years, if you only want to do the AS qualification you would have to wait until 2018 to actually sit it(assuming you're doing a-levels in September) as AS levels do not count. However, if your course is being changed next year you will do the AS(in which is a qualification) with the option to continue to A2

Original post by Rather_Cynical
The question isn't phrased in a way that can be easily understood, please explain what you mean.
sorry if u didn't get my question . I didn't know how to explain it shortly cuz I hate writing paragraphs !!!! I hope u understand.:wink::smile:
that's what I mean!!!!!!!

sorry if u didn't get my question . I didn't know how to explain it shortly cuz I hate writing paragraphs !!!! I hope u understand.:wink::smile:

Seems like you didn't get my edited post, but here it is again. I hope this is a bit clearer than what I said originally:

For physics:You may be entered to an AS exam, but it won't countYour exams in year 13 will count, the exams will have AS and A2 material in itIf you wish to do an AS level only you will have to sit it with your other subject's A2 exams in order to get a single qualification without doing the A2 for physics
Seems like you didn't get my edited post, but here it is again. I hope this is a bit clearer than what I said originally:

For physics:You may be entered to an AS exam, but it won't countYour exams in year 13 will count, the exams will have AS and A2 material in itIf you wish to do an AS level only you will have to sit it with your other subject's A2 exams in order to get a single qualification without doing the A2 for physics

Wait what???? Wait I was the one asking questions !!!!!! What I was trying to say was that now in A levels As and A2 syllabus is now mixed I was trying to confirm it!!!!!:smile::biggrin:
Wait what???? Wait I was the one asking questions !!!!!! What I was trying to say was that now in A levels As and A2 syllabus is now mixed I was trying to confirm it!!!!!:smile::biggrin:

Oh ffs my bad
Oh ffs my bad

What is (ffs) suppose to mean!! :confused:
Please don't tell me that you're taking English Language next year...
What is (ffs) suppose to mean!! :confused:

It means- For f*cks sake
It means- For f*cks sake

I m really sorry!! really sorry I didn't mean to hurt you I m not really good in abbreviations and paragraphs :Cry::frown::Cry2: i was just asking a question
So in year 13, will they have a set of AS level exams and a set of A2 level exams, or will they do exams which contain AS and A2 level material mixed into one exam? So for example if I did maths, biology, chemistry and physics. Would I do the AS level exams and A2 level exams for each subject at the end of year 13? Or would I sit a set of exams at the end of year 13 which contains AS level and A2 level material in one exam for each subject?
Original post by surina16
Please don't tell me that you're taking English Language next year...

There's no need to be snarky and rude.

Quick Reply

Latest