The Student Room Group

Struggling with personal statement

I need it written by next week. As that's when my school wants them in, so they can check them.. So, ideally I want mine written by Friday so I can then go to PS helper before I hand it in. I will get to do it again, I'm sure. But just need to hand in something pretty decent by next week.

I'm going to be applying for English at unis like Exeter, Bristol, UCL, possibly Oxbridge. I've tried reading past personal statements. And, I have a basic idea of what I'm going to write about. It's just that whilst I'm writing it, I think I sound far too pretentious. How can I stop myself from sound pretentious?

The basic plan I'm follwoing is:
Why English? Why I'm passionate about it? Mention literature which has changed me or affected me greatly.

Favourite author, playwright. Favourite genre.

What I have liked about english as level. mention futher reading.

How study of history and psychology has helped... Mention books which I have understood better
Speech and drama and how that has helped me with shakespeare, theory- eg metre, shape of poetry, pause, dramatics and stuff..

Then tiny bit about how well rounded I am.

Is that ok? I'm also a bit worried about what literature to mention. I don't want to sound the same as everyone else.. Out of these which would be good to mention and which would not:
because of..

Sylvia Plath, Arthur Miller, Robert Browning, Harold Pinter.

Books I was thinking of mentioning:

Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov. American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis. Gulliver's Travels, Jonathon Swift. Barve New World, Aldous Huxley.

I'm really scared about all this. And, I know how important the Personal Statement is. But, I want to amke sure I write about stuff I actually love rather than stuff I think will sound good.

Also, I'm aware that I haven't read much from other periods. What would you suggest?? I've read Austen and the Brontes.. But so will have everyone. I've read a little of Ben Jonson and seen one of his plays on stage and lots and lots of shakepeare.. but then again so will hve everyone. I'm going to mention 'Troilus and Cressida' as I've had to do that for LAMDA. So I really need suggestions on what I can read to show that I'm interested in studying other periods.

I've not read any literacy criticsim. Where on earth would I start?

This is just all so scary. :frown:

HELP!!
Reply 1
try posting in ask a PS helper :smile:
Reply 2
I have to have a first draft to post there though don't I?

Atm, I just have a load of sentences which don't fit together and sound stupidly pretentious.
Reply 3
well if thats not a very rough draft i dont know what is :p: just trying to say that people there will no best and may not come to these parts of the forum regularily
I would just put whatever you are most passionate about. Particularly if you're applying to Oxbridge; they'd really grill you on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending