Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Help senior prefect application

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Dear Ms Wilkinson,
    I am writing to you to express my enthusiasm to take on the role of becoming a school prefect. I know that there will be a myriad of suitable applications for this role, but I hope that in this letter I will give you satisfactory reason for you to appoint me.

I’ve attended this school for a couple of years now and I feel that I have a favourable relationship with the teachers and students. I get along well with everyone in my year. The school has given me so much – helping me if I don’t understand something in a lesson and generally supporting me in achieving the most I can – and I now feel obliged to give something back. I have learnt a limitless amount in preparation of my GCSE’s, and I have also learnt a great deal about myself in the process; being a prefect will help me to expand my knowledge and help the school.

I am confident that I can help to further improve the school. I work well with all kinds of characters, whether they are year 7 students, teachers, fellow classmates or friends, and I am capable of working on my own or in a team. I have also participated in the Team Maths Challenge and despite not being the oldest I managed to get 2nd out of many top schools which needed very good teamwork. As I have passed my DofE bronze I can tell I have much improved my teamwork skills. I am very good at getting my opinion across, but not in an obnoxious manner. I’m commendable at listening to other peoples’ ideas - rather than discarding a good idea or opinion, I would work hard to improve it to the best it can be - This is an especially excellent trait, as I have heard (on many occasions) students complaining about feeling that their opinions and suggestions have been rejected.

Finally, as a prefect, I believe that I would be able to help the school to become a better place.

I really feel there is much to improve on so could you leave the help thanks

Try avoiding the first sentence. Although in this sense it doesn't sound too bad, it's better to avoid in writing letters 'I am writing to you to..' .. because it's obvious you're doing that. Instead, start with something more interesting.You could say something along the lines of..I envision a senior prefect to be a role model for the students in the lower years. They are someone who are looked up to, they are there to help, advise and guide students who have problems. Senior prefects need to be approachable, flexible and polite - these are such qualities I possess, therefore I believe I may be a suitable candidate for this position.

That could be your intro ^^ from 'I envision...suitable candidate'. However, you could weave in the 'myriad of suitable candidates' phrase somewhere as it sounds good.

Avoid 'get along'...it's better to say 'I work well with'..

After the DofE part, you simply sort of list skills, give examples where you have demonstrated them.

Your last paragraph needs to be more developed - how would you make the school a better place? Think creatively, what would you do different that no-one has successfully done yet?Other than that, all seems good...you have a good outline and structure.

Also, may I know what you would like your career to be when you grow up? You could weave something in about that and how the senior prefect role would be helpful.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.