The Student Room Group

Will the UK keep free movement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheIr0nDuke
https://fullfact.org/europe/where-does-eu-export/

'The UK is the EU's largest single export market in goods, if you treat the UK as if it were outside the EU. The United States is a close second. They make up 16% and 15% of exports to non-EU countries respectively.' 26 Jan 2016

Not made up.

Nothing can be done until it's invoked. We don't know what terms we'll be leaving on. Why have talks (trade or informally) if six months down the line everything has changed? No point.

No. If you take the French or Germans out then they become the largest.That assumes that the French or the Germans are still within in the EU.*
Even ignoring that issue. It just demonstrates the weakness of the UK hand. They are barely above the USA and the EU have been negotiating the T-TIP for the past 10 years.*

Well, what is going to magically change in 6 months? We are leaving the EU as planned.*
Reply 41
l m a o

butthurt much, remainfag?

the truth is unpopular

Free movement is not going to stop in the UK, meaning immigration will stay the same, so stop going on about it
Freedom of movement is a dealbreaker for many who voted to Leave. Immigration was one of the biggest issues, behind sovereignty.

No chance a PM could get away with allowing it.

But it wasn't THE biggest issue and what a government has to take into account is that not everybody who voted leave did so because they want free movement to be stopped and we can be sure that all those who voted remain either are pro-free movement or at least tolerant of it. So in terms of a mandate a free-movement deal would definitely have one, and a benefit of an EEA-type agreement is that it restricts the number of EU laws we'd have to abide by, which would be a fair compromise in terms of satiating the sovereignty crowd.

For me this isn't the situation I'd like but it's the one I can see happening. See, I'm in no doubt that EU/Single Market membership is the best option for the UK (at least economically), however I don't want that to exist. It's a protectionist cartel which hurts other countries economically for the benefit of EU member states. The common agricultural policy ****s farmers in Africa (for example). It helps make EU farmers wealthier but ... my view is that if you've got a truly global and internationalist vision for the world then protectionist blocks like the EU can't really be a thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I really hope we do just to screw over the racist northerners who voted to leave the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest