Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Abingdon council rejects rainbow Pride flag.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by Kazuhira)
    Why are people so militant about LGBT rights ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess to them it's about pride and progressive activism, and they become so absorbed into it that they forget about how aggressive it can be seen by members on the outside.

I'm not a member of the LGBTQ+ community and I'm certainly not an activist per se, but I do support them from an "outside" position.

(Original post by Kazuhira)
    Why are people so militant about LGBT rights ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because we got it wrong for so long.

We have to correct this mistake

See, if they'd justified the decision with something other than "what kind of message are we sending" I'd have been fine with it tbh, as a member of the LGBTQ community and as someone who lived in Abingdon until she was 9. That being said "it's not an Abingdon event" when Abingdon is literally 20 minutes away from Oxford by bus and half of its teenagers go to Oxford schools and most school trips are to Oxford is a really weak argument.

C'mon, step it up here guys! I'm disappointed!

(Original post by Bjornhattan)
    Speaking as someone who is gay, this isn't an issue.

Abingdon is one small town of 30,000, and frankly I don't care whether they wish to fly the pride flag. There are bigger problems facing the LGBT community than whether a rural settlement in Oxfordshire chooses to fly our flag or not.
    I think the gay activists may have fallen into an older and more primeval struggle.

This building was the County Hall of Berkshire. Abingdon was forcibly moved into Oxfordshire in 1974 and it looks as though the resentment is still there.

The Councillor said:

He added Oxford Pride was not an Abingdon event and, should there be an Abingdon Pride event, "this would be welcomed, and we would be pleased to consider allowing a rainbow flag to be flown from a flagpole on the Market Place".
    The issue is not that this is Pride. The issue is that this is Oxford.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.