The Student Room Group

Is it true that Cambridge colleges often fund students to go abroad during holidays?

--
(edited 5 years ago)
That's bs.
According to actual Cambridge students, you generally need an academic reason to do so. It can be all paid for but that depends on the college. The richer it is, the more likely it is.
Reply 3
Original post by FrankTeller1234
I remember hearing somewhere that it's possible to get funding from some of the colleges at Cambridge in order to go abroad or go on a particular trip during your holiday period.

Is this true? Is it exclusive to the richer colleges? Do you have to do anything to warrant funding; e.g. good exam results or have a specified plan for going abroad? Or can any random student just get some money to go on holiday? Also, is it *all* paid for?

Thanks.

Original post by 34908seikj
That's bs.

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't go to Cambridge, but that definitely doesn't sound true.

Yes you can get Travel Grants.
Details depends on the college.

Eg.
https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/current-students/awards-grants-and-prizes
https://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate-grants-and-scholarships

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure about Cambridge but I know that some Oxford colleges do, if you can provide an academic reason for doing so. I'm not entirely sure how concrete this reason must be, though.
Reply 5
Original post by JRKinder
I'm not entirely sure how concrete this reason must be, though.

Not very... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest I really doubt the reason has to be that valid, when I was doing my interview there this student was telling me how a bunch of them tagged along on this trip to Greece and the college paid for all of them!
I remember hearing somewhere that it's possible to get funding from some of the colleges at Cambridge in order to go abroad or go on a particular trip during your holiday period.

As jneill says, you usually have to have some reason, though the reasons can sometimes be a bit thin ... and the money available depends on the College and what funds it has been bequeathed/donated. It's up to students to work out that there is £200 available for anyone prepared to look at wildlife in Corfu and then work out how they can make a winning proposal and go and enjoy that! The stronger your academic reasons, even if it's just language learning etc, the more likely you are to be awarded funds. There are all sorts of bits and pieces of money available, if you look into it.
Reply 8
Original post by JRKinder
To be honest I really doubt the reason has to be that valid, when I was doing my interview there this student was telling me how a bunch of them tagged along on this trip to Greece and the college paid for all of them!

They were investigating Greek viniculture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this true? Is it exclusive to the richer colleges? Do you have to do anything to warrant funding; e.g. good exam results or have a specified plan for going abroad? Or can any random student just get some money to go on holiday? Also, is it *all* paid for?

Thanks.

only if you can show them it's academic research related trip and they approve its credible enough.
Somebody I know tried to get the travel grant to fund a holiday abroad with his girlfriend and told them it's for his research as a geographer, but they could see through his lie. They're not stupid.
But some colleges seem to be more lax than others.
Yes it is true! We can certainly provide help for course-related travel but travel grants are also for trips which aren't directly related to your course - travel broadens the mind!

edit: this is one of things which does differ a little between Colleges so my answer relates to Peterhouse.
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks.

Yes, there are travel grants available. But they have to relate to your tripos (i.e. they are required professional experience) and they not available to everyone or in every discipline.

My daughter got finding to go on an archaeological dig (Malta), but did not get any for 2 others she had to do in Italy. It also did not cover all expenses.
Original post by alcibiade
Yes, there are travel grants available. But they have to relate to your tripos (i.e. they are required professional experience) and they not available to everyone or in every discipline.

My daughter got finding to go on an archaeological dig (Malta), but did not get any for 2 others she had to do in Italy. It also did not cover all expenses.

Not necessarily.
The trip has to have an element of 'academic research' in principle, it doesn't have to be directly related to your tripos.
In the first year my daughter and a small group of her friends (different courses, different colleges) applied for travel grants to go to a far-away country to help the victims of a major natural disaster the country experienced.
All of them got the grants with no problem. They had to write the application in the way it showed the trip was related to their study, just as a formality, but the college knew perfectly well it's not strictly the case and agreed to support them. In fact my daughter's college gave her the grant twice the amount they'd usually give to their first year students. (Still, not even enough to cover one-way flight)

Many of her other friends have got grant to take part in various kinds of volunteering programmes abroad which was not directly related to their tripos, too.
If you can prove it's not a trip just for fun and they think it is indeed worthwhile, they'll give you the grant.

Travel grants in the second year was much more straightforward as the trip was genuinely related to a research she needed to do for her dissertation and she got the maximum amount, so did most of her friends in the same situation.

But the amount you get is not that much; usually between L. 200 - 400. Not quite enough to cover the whole cost at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
My cousins who went to Cambridge never mentioned this :unimpressed:

Coming to think of it though, one of them did mention briefly that her year abroad had been funded partly by her college but she had to explain that it was for work experience linked to her degree.
Original post by vincrows
Not necessarily.
The trip has to have an element of 'academic research' in principle, it doesn't have to be directly related to your tripos.
In the first year my daughter and a small group of her friends (different courses, different colleges) applied for travel grants to go to a far-away country to help the victims of a major natural disaster the country experienced.
All of them got the grants with no problem. They had to write the application in the way it showed the trip was related to their study, just as a formality, but the college knew perfectly well it's not strictly the case and agreed to support them. In fact my daughter's college gave her the grant twice the amount they'd usually give to their first year students. (Still, not even enough to cover one-way flight)

Many of her other friends have got grant to take part in various kinds of volunteering programmes abroad which was not directly related to their tripos, too.
If you can prove it's not a trip just for fun and they think it is indeed worthwhile, they'll give you the grant.

Travel grants in the second year was much more straightforward as the trip was genuinely related to a research she needed to do for her dissertation and she got the maximum amount, so did most of her friends in the same situation.

But the amount you get is not that much; usually between L. 200 - 400. Not quite enough to cover the whole cost at all.

That's even better.
Reply 15
Trinity has a fund for "life-enhancing experiences", specifically for doing something during the academic year not related at all to your degree, e.g. visting the Northern lights, seeing an opera, going skiing, that you haven't done. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope I meet my offer and this is true bc I get quite sad that I can't afford a holiday sometimes :redface:
A family friend of mine who studies law at Oxford used all his student loan to go travelling around the world during their Easter holiday. At Oxford colleges students have to show their tutors their bank statements every once in a while to show that they're not being stupid with money. In this case when his tutor saw his bank statement the college insisted they didn't want to see the individual struggling financially so the university Paid off his outstanding debt and agreed to give him regular payments to support him financially when in reality he has a wealthy family and the only reason his bank account was so poor was because he'd only just come back from abroad spending stupid money! So now he's even more well off' M

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by halliethestudent
A family friend of mine who studies law at Oxford used all his student loan to go travelling around the world during their Easter holiday. At Oxford colleges students have to show their tutors their bank statements every once in a while to show that they're not being stupid with money. In this case when his tutor saw his bank statement the college insisted they didn't want to see the individual struggling financially so the university Paid off his outstanding debt and agreed to give him regular payments to support him financially when in reality he has a wealthy family and the only reason his bank account was so poor was because he'd only just come back from abroad spending stupid money! So now he's even more well off' M

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Thanks.

For example, just found this from John's :smile:

The first one sounds v cool!

"Travel Exhibitions

Certain special funds exist from which a limited number of Travel Exhibitions and other grants may be made to Junior members. These are as follows:

C.W. Brasher Travel Fund, to assist students to travel, preference given to those travelling to some wilder part of the world.

Cooper Fund, to assist students not yet of standing to proceed to the M.A degree to attend conferences or tocarry out field work in Earth Sciences.

Glyn and Ruth Daniel Fund, to assist students of the College below the status of M.A. to travel and visit archaeological sites in Europe and the Mediterranean countries.

B.H. Farmer Fund, to assist undergraduate geographers.

Scullard Fund to assist students who are engaged in the study of Ancient History and/or early Church History,to travel or to visit churches, museums or other places of historical interest in connection with their study and.

Robert Sloley Fund to assist students who are engaged in the study of preclassical archaeology to travel, to undertake or assist in excavation or to visit archaeological sites, museums, or other places of archaeological interest, in connection with their study.

Hanley Fund Grants to assist students of agriculture, agricultural science and medicine or some branch orbranches of natural science related to one of those subjects.

Frank Hollick Fund to assist students engaged in travel in pursuit of their interest in natural history or the finearts.

Roberts Fund to assist students who wish to improve their knowledge by travel.

Christopher Vincent Travel Exhibitions to assist students engaged in travel abroad to further international understanding.

Ulysees Travel Fund to assist junior members of the College to explore, climb or undertake other adventurous travel, preferably in more remote parts of the World.

Wilberforce and Clarkson (Williams) Travel Fund for awards to Johnians to work in Africa.

Peter Allan Travel Award for students to travel to the Middle East, Far East or Australia in furtherance of aworthwhile purpose/project which need not, but maybe, academic in nature.

Parsons’ Fund to assist students towards the costs of projects with links to Greece (Modern or Ancient) or theEastern Mediterranean. To also provide grants towards costs of music projects or to enhance musical skills.

Johnian Society Travel Exhibitions are available for a limited number of awards to those with adventurous or innovative plans of travel.

Online application details will be available on the College Website in February each year. Closing date for receipt of completed forms is usually at the start of the Easter Term. Exact dates will be announced on the website. Successful applicants are required to submit an online report by the end of October following their travel."
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest