The Student Room Group

Greatest Footballer of All Time

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eden3
OK mate :lol: Enjoy your evening

You too champ
Original post by TheHistoryKid
Please do tell me what zidane has done that iniesta hasnt?

Score an absolutely beauty in a champions league final

Score in a WC final AND head butt someone :lol:

Why do you feel so passionate about Iniesta being better then Zidane? :lol:
Original post by Lord Samosa

Im passionate about the truth, and only the truth.
Maradonna
Original post by Lord Samosa

Can I just interject and say that you look much more like a nacho than a samosa in your DP :tongue:
Original post by SCIENCE :D
why is George Best always forgotten about in these discussions. Pele himself has said that Best was the greatest footballer in the world.

Do you listen to everything Pele says?

Messi is the greatest of all time, the game now has advanced so much since the icons of the past were playing that it puts Messi at #1. He is so flawless in his style of play and execution. I think if people don't find him that enjoyable to watch, maybe you have been spoiled by him being so consistent.

Zidane was the ultimate big game player but not consistently good imo. Iniesta is the better player.

Ronaldinho was very gifted but wasted his talent.

Ronaldo Luiz second best in my lifetime I think.
Reply 46
R9 was the best striker but Messi takes the no1 spot.
Surely if you're going to talk about consistency then you would mention Cristiano as he is the only player to score over 50 goals in 6 consecutive seasons.

Original post by Malevolent
Zidane aint even better then Iniesta. Greatest freak footballer? Ronaldo pre injury.

Greatest footballer I've seen consistency wise? Messi
(edited 7 years ago)
Aesthetics may also be skewed( dribbling, technique etc) due to improved playing conditions( lighter boots/balls better pitches etc) which is something else to keep in mind when judging players of different eras

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Who is the greatest football player of all time? I have to go with Zinedine Zidane!

Could debate for hours, hundreds of names so im going to pick some past and modern from memory

Past: Kahn, Maldini, Nesta, Cafu, Zidane, Raul, Figo, Fat Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Laudraups, Shevchenko, Gerrard, Scholes, Giggs, Vieria, Makele, Thuram, Stam, Seedorf, Cryuff, Van basten, Gullit, y Battuista, Shearer, Henry, Berkkamp, Zanetti, Walter Samuel, Eto, Puyol, Xavi, David Villa, Pires,, Cantona, pipo inzaghi ... theres many many more

Modern: Not as many as say 10 years ago..... but obviously there are standouts..

Messi, Cr7, Mascherano, Ramos, Casillas, Neuer, Schweini, T.Silva, Neymar, Suarez, Chiellni, Bonucci, Marchisio, Pogba, Greizmaan, Bale, J.Boateng, Iniesta, Kroos, Alaba, Lahm, Pique, Busquets, Aguero, Kompany, Hazard, Higuain, De Rossi, Courtois, De Bruyne, Muller, Reus,... No English players...

but if i had to pick i'd say.. Zidane, Fat Ron, Raul, Messi, CR7, Neuer, are truly pioneers
(edited 7 years ago)
Personally, and in no particular order:
Pele
Maradona
Cruyff
Beckanbeur
Ronaldo(7)
Messi
Puskas
Di stefano

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please do tell me what zidane has done that iniesta hasnt?

Won 3 World player of the year awards.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Do you listen to everything Pele says?

Messi is the greatest of all time, the game now has advanced so much since the icons of the past were playing that it puts Messi at #1. He is so flawless in his style of play and execution. I think if people don't find him that enjoyable to watch, maybe you have been spoiled by him being so consistent.

Zidane was the ultimate big game player but not consistently good imo. Iniesta is the better player.

Ronaldinho was very gifted but wasted his talent.

Ronaldo Luiz second best in my lifetime I think.

Iniesta the better player than Zidane?

Are you guys nuts?

Iniesta is not even close to players like Ronaldinho or Ronaldo, and you want to compare him with Zidane?

LOL, Kids these days
Original post by Playmaker#10
Iniesta the better player than Zidane?

Are you guys nuts?

Iniesta is not even close to players like Ronaldinho or Ronaldo, and you want to compare him with Zidane?

LOL, Kids these days

Zidane the better player than Platini?

Are you guys nuts?

Zidane is not even close to players like Michael Laudrup or Lothar Matthaus

LOL, teenagers these days
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Zidane the better player than Platini?

Are you guys nuts?

Zidane is not even close to players like Michael Laudrup or Lothar Matthaus

LOL, teenagers these days

Wasn't Laudrup the great unfulfilled talent? Did nothing at Juventus after Platini left and only turned it on when he felt like it.

You can't demean Zidane to that extent, he was the best player of the late 90s and early 00s, and arguably the best big-game player of all time.
Original post by tengentoppa
Wasn't Laudrup the great unfulfilled talent? Did nothing at Juventus after Platini left and only turned it on when he felt like it.

You can't demean Zidane to that extent, he was the best player of the late 90s and early 00s, and arguably the best big-game player of all time.

The best Laudrup was the one at Barcelona, where he was a monster.

Wrt Zidane, that small tiny hiccup in the 2006 final makes it hard to give him that title. Ronaldo was the best player of his time anyway.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
The best Laudrup was the one at Barcelona, where he was a monster.

Wrt Zidane, that small tiny hiccup in the 2006 final makes it hard to give him that title. Ronaldo was the best player of his time anyway.

Given he pretty much single-handedly got them to the final, I'm willing to forgive the hiccup. And he was having a pretty good game in the final until that little incident

Ronoaldo pre-injury was the best player in the world, but he was never the same afterwards. He was still outstanding at Madrid, but not the God he had been.
Reply 57
Beckham anyone?:colone:
Lads need to put some respek on Giuseppe Meazza's name

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Yeh but iniesta is better than him so....?

Even Iniesta's mum doesn't agree with you.

Quick Reply

Latest