The Student Room Group

Should i take further maths to A2?

Hi, i have currently just finished year 12 studying maths, further maths, biology and physics AS. However, i have only taken the maths and further maths exams this year.

I recently have only decided on what course i want to do at uni, choosing maths over what i originally thought i would do (physics). I was originally going to drop further maths at A2 but now realize that i may need A2 further maths since i am now applying to do maths at uni.

The problem is that if i were to do A2 further maths i would have to drop a subject, which in this case would be biology (better to drop than physics imo). However, in complete hindsight i should've taken the AS biology exam so i can drop it now otherwise dropping it without the AS grade would result in a complete waste. My other option would be to take the four full a-levels instead, but i feel like i would not be able to get the best grades i could doing four a levels. My final option would to not take further maths to A2 at all and carry on with maths, physics and biology.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do universities require further maths to A2? (including oxbridge universities possibly)

Would i be worse off not taking it against other competitors?

How much would it set me back without taking it during my maths course?

If i did drop biology, would universities care about a missing AS grade? (do universities look at your a level and AS grades or just the full a level grades?)

How much more work would it be to take four a-levels?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be extremely appreciated if any of my questions could be answered or any thoughts and opinions given, thanks
Reply 1
If you want to do maths at uni then I would strongly advise you to do A2 FM. Even that doesn't get you into Oxbridge. You'll have to do STEP or the MAT. Biology A-level is useless for maths anyway.
Original post by shibe
Hi, i have currently just finished year 12 studying maths, further maths, biology and physics AS. However, i have only taken the maths and further maths exams this year.

I recently have only decided on what course i want to do at uni, choosing maths over what i originally thought i would do (physics). I was originally going to drop further maths at A2 but now realize that i may need A2 further maths since i am now applying to do maths at uni.

The problem is that if i were to do A2 further maths i would have to drop a subject, which in this case would be biology (better to drop than physics imo). However, in complete hindsight i should've taken the AS biology exam so i can drop it now otherwise dropping it without the AS grade would result in a complete waste. My other option would be to take the four full a-levels instead, but i feel like i would not be able to get the best grades i could doing four a levels. My final option would to not take further maths to A2 at all and carry on with maths, physics and biology.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do universities require further maths to A2? (including oxbridge universities possibly)

If i did drop biology, would universities care about a missing AS grade? (do universities look at your a level and AS grades or just the full a level grades?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be extremely appreciated if any of my questions could be answered or any thoughts and opinions given, thanks

Not taking further maths to A2 will put you in disadvantage (serious disadvantage in case of Oxbridge).
Most of the universities don't care about a missing AS grade including Oxford though fourth AS/A level show that you can cope well with ther pressure.
It is still manageable if you are willing to work hard.
Oxbridge maths - serious disadvantage without A2 FM
Elsewhere - still a minor disadvantage, depends on the university, but generally minor

As mentioned, A2 further maths isn't all that you need, you need STEP/MAT for cambridge/warwick/imperial/oxford.

If you want to do maths and want to consider Oxbridge, don't shoot yourself in the foot and not take it. Otherwise you will have to work extremely hard to catch up
Original post by shibe

I'm not sure how unis will look at your AS biology as I did science A levels when they were modular (suddenly i feel old XD)
If you consider applying to Oxbridge, DON'T YOU DARE TO DROP FURTHER MATHS. Biology is absolutely irrelevant to maths, I think you are best with dropping bio and take further maths to A2, and do MAT and Step questions to practise. Oxbrdige is very very competitive, and you need to be outstanding.
Reply 5
Original post by lawlieto
I'm not sure how unis will look at your AS biology as I did science A levels when they were modular (suddenly i feel old XD)
If you consider applying to Oxbridge, DON'T YOU DARE TO DROP FURTHER MATHS. Biology is absolutely irrelevant to maths, I think you are best with dropping bio and take further maths to A2, and do MAT and Step questions to practise. Oxbrdige is very very competitive, and you need to be outstanding.

Original post by B_9710
If you want to do maths at uni then I would strongly advise you to do A2 FM. Even that doesn't get you into Oxbridge. You'll have to do STEP or the MAT. Biology A-level is useless for maths anyway.

Would it be worthwhile to just do the AS biology this year instead of completely dropping it? Or would that just mean doing the AS biology would be the same as not doing the biology at all?

When given an offer from a uni, if i had done the AS biology would they completely disregard that in their offer when looking at your grades?

Bottom line - does having a biology AS grade affect anything?
Original post by shibe
Would it be worthwhile to just do the AS biology this year instead of completely dropping it? Or would that just mean doing the AS biology would be the same as not doing the biology at all?

When given an offer from a uni, if i had done the AS biology would they completely disregard that in their offer when looking at your grades?

Bottom line - does having a biology AS grade affect anything?

The only effect your AS biology has is that it shows you can cope with 4 subjects. I'm not saying it's a completely irrelevant thing, but having A2 further maths is way more important for a maths application. You will get an offer for 3 subjects, that's for sure, so I wouldn't be worried about dropping biology. If you are sure you can cope you can take the exam but I think it will have little effect on your overall application. It is much more important that you excel at maths. I have some past maths interview questions and some suggestions if you are interested.
Reply 7
Original post by lawlieto
The only effect your AS biology has is that it shows you can cope with 4 subjects. I'm not saying it's a completely irrelevant thing, but having A2 further maths is way more important for a maths application. You will get an offer for 3 subjects, that's for sure, so I wouldn't be worried about dropping biology. If you are sure you can cope you can take the exam but I think it will have little effect on your overall application. It is much more important that you excel at maths. I have some past maths interview questions and some suggestions if you are interested.

yes that would be really helpful if you can, thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest