The Student Room Group

Am I setting myself up for false hope?

(In advance, sorry if this sounds incredibly childish and immature, I've been trying to be rational about this but I feel hopeless.)
So, there's this guy in my year and I think deep down I've always liked him, he's just funny and brilliant and he's always been there for me when I've needed him.
However, it was after prom I began to really like him, he seemed more chatty and we felt a lot closer. I just can't stop thinking about him and the way we were together at prom, we were always smiling and laughing.
HOWEVER, here is where the fun starts. He messaged me, showing me screenshots between him and another girl and he basically really liked her but she just used him. He feels so upset and angry which is understandable and I feel so moronic to even have entertained the idea of him potentially liking me.
Deep down, I feel like something could happen at a later date, is it okay to believe this? Or am I just getting my hopes up for nothing?
It might also be worth mentioning that him and I will be going to different colleges when we get our results too.
Some of the best relationships are formed from close friendships.

Keep talking to him, hint at liking him and suggest meeting up/doing activities together. Anything that conveys interest beyond purely platonic.

It can't help to try.
He either sees you as a close friend or was trying to give you a hint, either way, a relationship just before going off to uni isn't great
Original post by beckyyyxo
He messaged me, showing me screenshots between him and another girl and he basically really liked her but she just used him. He feels so upset and angry which is understandable and I feel so moronic to even have entertained the idea of him potentially liking me.
Deep down, I feel like something could happen at a later date, is it okay to believe this? Or am I just getting my hopes up for nothing?

I'd actually read that as him wanting you as more than a friend (he's basically advertising himself as a potential partner)- I'd be careful he's not after a rebound though. By all means, if you want a summer romance before going to uni then completely go for it, sounds like you both have some good chemistry going on! Depends what you want really. If he's confiding in you then you must be quite close, so equally, if you didn't want to potentially spoil things as they are then there would be nothing wrong in keeping it in the friend zone either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending