The Student Room Group

Postgraduate applicants 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kamcgrat
@ Kamcrgat.

Also in response to threeportdrift --

I met with an admissions officer from Durham a while back when she visited the States. I asked her about deadlines to accept offers. She said that I could as for an extension on any offer deadline and that this was a common practice.

I'm not sure if this is the case at other unis, but it certainly is at Durham. My two cents.
Reply 101
Hi all! I thought I'd join this conversation since I am anxiously awaiting the fate of my masters applications. I am in my last year at University of California Santa Cruz with a major in Film and Digital Media, but I've done two study abroad programs in London (I'm currently at KCL until December). I've applied to:

UCL - MSc Management
Kings's College - MSc International Management
LSE - MSc Media and Communications (Data)
Queen Mary - MSc Management
Univerisity of Manchester - Msc Management
Cambridge - MSc Management

I've gotten offers from Queen Mary and Manchester, but I really want to get into the UCL program. I was wondering if anyone else had applied? My application was complete on October 13th, so it's getting on in time. I have a GPA of 3.7, so I'm hoping that's good enough. Also I am graduating in three years instead of four (hopefully the admissions people find that impressive or endearing). I know the program is really competitive. I just hope I hear back soon because my offer at Manchester expires on December 4th.

Sounds pretty similar to my situation. My GPA is 3.59 with a degree from Business Administration and Management Information Systems. I, too, graduated a year early. Not sure if they really care about this though . I applied for Business Analytics and I have not heard a word since I submitted my application on September 14th..
Only 11 working days left until UCL promised they'd get back to me :s-smilie: They only look two weeks with my first application - worried I'm on the 'maybe' pile for the second application, which is the one I want the most :-(
Reply 103
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Only 11 working days left until UCL promised they'd get back to me :s-smilie: They only look two weeks with my first application - worried I'm on the 'maybe' pile for the second application, which is the one I want the most :-(

did you contact them after you submitted your application?
Original post by thpeu
did you contact them after you submitted your application?

No, I just sent the application off, waited for my references, and then they confirmed via the portal it was under assessment :smile:
Reply 105
I've had offers for MSc Abnormal and Clinical Psychology from University of South Wales and Swansea University.

Going to accept Swansea this week :smile:
Hey everyone! I'm not 100% sure if I'm applying for an MA or not quite yet, but it's a decision which I'm definitely thinking about. I graduated back in 2015 after a horrific final year of university (not so much to do with the degree, I just had a really horrible thing happen to me which started off a long period and struggle with anxiety and depression which took a very long time to shift, right up until now, really). In my second year of uni I was certain I wanted to do a masters, but after dealing with so much personal and mental health stuff, I wasn't quite up to it and I didn't have enough belief in myself to pursue.

Fast forward to now, I really ****ing miss education. I miss my subject and I miss working towards something. However, I'm full of self doubt because I've been out of the loop for a while, and I'm not still 100% better so I'm very worried that I'll end up wasting a lot of money on a degree I'm not capable for. Basically, I'm posting here to follow along with everyone else's journey, while I make my mind up.

If anyone here has any experience of going back into education after a bit of a gap, or applying for an MA with depression and anxiety issues, then please, if you have any suggestions or recommendations of what I should do, share them. This is such a daunting thing for me, but I feel like I have to give it a shot and if I don't do it now, I never will.

Thank you and good luck to everyone who's applying, and congratulations to everyone who's attained an offer so far! :smile:
Original post by snailsareslimy
Hey everyone! I'm not 100% sure if I'm applying for an MA or not quite yet, but it's a decision which I'm definitely thinking about. I graduated back in 2015 after a horrific final year of university (not so much to do with the degree, I just had a really horrible thing happen to me which started off a long period and struggle with anxiety and depression which took a very long time to shift, right up until now, really). In my second year of uni I was certain I wanted to do a masters, but after dealing with so much personal and mental health stuff, I wasn't quite up to it and I didn't have enough belief in myself to pursue.

Fast forward to now, I really ****ing miss education. I miss my subject and I miss working towards something. However, I'm full of self doubt because I've been out of the loop for a while, and I'm not still 100% better so I'm very worried that I'll end up wasting a lot of money on a degree I'm not capable for. Basically, I'm posting here to follow along with everyone else's journey, while I make my mind up.

If anyone here has any experience of going back into education after a bit of a gap, or applying for an MA with depression and anxiety issues, then please, if you have any suggestions or recommendations of what I should do, share them. This is such a daunting thing for me, but I feel like I have to give it a shot and if I don't do it now, I never will.

Thank you and good luck to everyone who's applying, and congratulations to everyone who's attained an offer so far! :smile:

Well, it's not really the same thing, but in the summer after my second year, I fell pregnant, finished the second semester of my second year 37 weeks pregnant, had my baby over Christmas, and then came back to finish off the year a month after he was born. I was absolutely exhausted, hormonal, and very much missing my little one. Plus I had to breastfeed whilst completing assignments. Looking back I don't know how I made it through. But I started my third year a few months ago, getting 1sts and 2.1s, and have a place to study an MSc at UCL. Bottom line: difficult situations and feelings will only stop you if you let them. I believe in you, now go go go! Good luck! Xx
Original post by snailsareslimy

Like above, not the same thing but, I had to take a year out because I got diagnosed with stage 1 lymphoma (cancer). I had chemotherapy for 4 months before being given the all clear; and in the same year my anxiety became pretty bad. I had several panic attacks over the year, but honestly I've got to say that I'm far stronger and mentally-prepared for postgraduate study than I would have been without the experience. I came back to uni to do my second year, and knowing what it was like to be out of education for that long, I was determined to perform better than I did in my first year. I'm happier and more focused now than I ever was.

You can definitely do it. You don't want to be on your deathbed and have regrets. Even if it doesn't go the way you planned, at least you can say you tried your best.
Original post by Akamega
Like above, not the same thing but, I had to take a year out because I got diagnosed with stage 1 lymphoma (cancer). I had chemotherapy for 4 months before being given the all clear; and in the same year my anxiety became pretty bad. I had several panic attacks over the year, but honestly I've got to say that I'm far stronger and mentally-prepared for postgraduate study than I would have been without the experience. I came back to uni to do my second year, and knowing what it was like to be out of education for that long, I was determined to perform better than I did in my first year. I'm happier and more focused now than I ever was.

You can definitely do it. You don't want to be on your deathbed and have regrets. Even if it doesn't go the way you planned, at least you can say you tried your best.

Original post by Anna.Karenina
Well, it's not really the same thing, but in the summer after my second year, I fell pregnant, finished the second semester of my second year 37 weeks pregnant, had my baby over Christmas, and then came back to finish off the year a month after he was born. I was absolutely exhausted, hormonal, and very much missing my little one. Plus I had to breastfeed whilst completing assignments. Looking back I don't know how I made it through. But I started my third year a few months ago, getting 1sts and 2.1s, and have a place to study an MSc at UCL. Bottom line: difficult situations and feelings will only stop you if you let them. I believe in you, now go go go! Good luck! Xx

Thanks so much for replying to me, I really appreciate it :smile: I have so much respect for both of you, the amount of determination to get through both of those things is astounding, and you should both be so proud of yourselves. I really have taken on board what you've both discussed, and I think I need to stop viewing my issues as something that's held me back, and rather something that's made me a stronger human (who can hopefully deal with the pressures of MA study a lot better than if I hadn't had the experience!) I've emailed my old lecturer at my undergrad university today who was aware of my circumstances so hopefully we can have a meeting in the next few weeks so I can ask him for some advice and guidance on the application process. Until that materialises, I guess all I can do is start reading around my subject again (yay!) and researching possible courses I'd be interested in applying to.

Thanks so much, again, I don't know many people in real life who are going back to study after a year and a bit out, so it's been great to get some perspectives from those who have had vaguely similar circumstances to me. :smile:
Reply 110
Anyone applying to Exeter/receiving an offer? How long it take for them to get back to you?
Having a meeting today with my old lecturer at uni about my options at my old uni and the application process. Excited :smile:
Sent off applications for Terrorism, Security and Society at KCL and Countering Organised Crime and Terrorism at UCL this morning!

Super nervous, my grades aren't too great :/

Hopefully my statement and referees make up for it!
Seriously worrying about my postgrad course choice. I'm currently working in the sector and absolutely hate it-would prefer to go into business/events management, that kind of thing, instead. Anyone else having similar worries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by super_kawaii
Seriously worrying about my postgrad course choice. I'm currently working in the sector and absolutely hate it-would prefer to go into business/events management, that kind of thing, instead. Anyone else having similar worries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you applying for? :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by etoile89
Hey all. I'm an American student finally applying to postgrad programs. I earned my BA in 2011 and real life got in the way for a bit.

I'm applying to various taught masters programs for Modern History.

At this point, my list includes:
- Oxbridge - You have nothing to lose but the application fee.
- Durham
- St Andrews
- Edinburgh
- Warwick
- Sussex
- York
- Nottingham

I may add a few more... it seems like a long list, but I will be attending grad school in 2017. :biggrin:

Have you been accepted anywhere? If so how long did it take to get an offer? I'm an American student as well trying to get into school...got offers from University of Kent and Warwick but still waiting to hear back from UCL, King's College, Cambridge, and Exeter.
Reply 116
Booked onto an open afternoon and department visit for a few weeks time at my first choice :h:

I've declined my Nottingham offer :smile:
Hi all! I thought I'd join this conversation since I am anxiously awaiting the fate of my masters applications. I am in my last year at University of California Santa Cruz with a major in Film and Digital Media, but I've done two study abroad programs in London (I'm currently at KCL until December). I've applied to:

UCL - MSc Management
Kings's College - MSc International Management
LSE - MSc Media and Communications (Data)
Queen Mary - MSc Management
Univerisity of Manchester - Msc Management
Cambridge - MSc Management

I've gotten offers from Queen Mary and Manchester, but I really want to get into the UCL program. I was wondering if anyone else had applied? My application was complete on October 13th, so it's getting on in time. I have a GPA of 3.7, so I'm hoping that's good enough. Also I am graduating in three years instead of four (hopefully the admissions people find that impressive or endearing). I know the program is really competitive. I just hope I hear back soon because my offer at Manchester expires on December 4th.

Aaahhh im in the process of applying for this course at Manch too!!! Congratulations on getting a place! What is your profile like out of curiosity?!
Hey!

Has anybody looked at or noticed my question about the GPA? I really would like to know because I'm scared that a 2.9/4.0 GPA from my undergraduate studies may not be enough for admittance. Can someone please help me out????

I'm still looking to apply to to six drama schools for the 2017-18 school year...
Original post by cytja_0288
Hey!

Has anybody looked at or noticed my question about the GPA? I really would like to know because I'm scared that a 2.9/4.0 GPA from my undergraduate studies may not be enough for admittance. Can someone please help me out????

I'm still looking to apply to to six drama schools for the 2017-18 school year...

There should be a section listing the requirements on each of the courses you want to apply for on their university website. I'd imagine it'll vary between unis, so it's always worth checking what it is to begin with. If your GPA is too low, I'd email admissions and ask if there's anything you could do to make up for it for your application to be considered (I'd imagine having some experience in the field/good references/submitting a great piece of work, etc, would maybe something they'd take into consideration, but it's ultimately down to their policy, but it's always good to ask just incase). You might just have to hunt around for a bit to find a course which matches your GPA if your % is an issue. Being self funded also helps when acquiring a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending