The Student Room Group

2.ii, starting GDL in October

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
Yeah I realise that the fees are insane and its a ridiculous rat race to secure pupillage/TCs already for those from Oxbdridge/RG with a 2.1 and above, so I'm looking into CILEx right now.

Do you know how it works? I'm googling as much as I can and it seems really unclear, is it a learning-on-the-job thing?

To be honest, at this point as long as I can find something that is legal work and pays I will be quite happy.

The CILEx route would allow you to become a chartered legal executive. As a non-law grad, I believe you'll have to complete level 3 and level 6. It's quite flexible so you could fit it around working.

Again, if you're looking for roles such as paralegals, legal assistants etc, a lot of law grads and those completing the GDL and LPC are after those kinds of jobs too to fund their post grad studies and because they're seen as another route to a TC, especially in smaller firms who recruit from within.

I'm not at all saying you should give up, but I do think you need to be realistic. You need to show passion, motivation and drive. It's definitely going to take more than a bit of googling to decide on the right route for you to take.

Get to job fairs, open days and conferences. For example, LawCareers.net held a conference in Manchester last December where there was the opportunity to speak to recruiters and HR about routes in, what they look for and ways to mitigate bad grades. Opportunities are out there but you have to dig for them sometimes.
Original post by Hann95
The CILEx route would allow you to become a chartered legal executive. As a non-law grad, I believe you'll have to complete level 3 and level 6. It's quite flexible so you could fit it around working.

Again, if you're looking for roles such as paralegals, legal assistants etc, a lot of law grads and those completing the GDL and LPC are after those kinds of jobs too to fund their post grad studies and because they're seen as another route to a TC, especially in smaller firms who recruit from within.

I'm not at all saying you should give up, but I do think you need to be realistic. You need to show passion, motivation and drive. It's definitely going to take more than a bit of googling to decide on the right route for you to take.

Get to job fairs, open days and conferences. For example, LawCareers.net held a conference in Manchester last December where there was the opportunity to speak to recruiters and HR about routes in, what they look for and ways to mitigate bad grades. Opportunities are out there but you have to dig for them sometimes.

Yeah I intend on taking part in mooting competitions and doing pro bono, and going to law fairs, and not just treating the GDL just like school of course. My intention is find a stable, permanent job as a paralegal and do the CILEx, as I think realistically this is the best option, plus even if I had a low 2.1 doing the LPC or BPTC would just be far too much of a gamble. And maybe the firm I will end up in will train from within. That is how it works, right? In regards to the CILEx route.

I'm just wondering if having the wrong number on the end of my degree will hold me back massively though, even if I get a commendation/distinction on the GDL and a good amount of work experience. Is competition for paralegals just as bad as TCs and pupillage?
Reply 22
Yeah I intend on taking part in mooting competitions and doing pro bono, and going to law fairs, and not just treating the GDL just like school of course. My intention is find a stable, permanent job as a paralegal and do the CILEx, as I think realistically this is the best option, plus even if I had a low 2.1 doing the LPC or BPTC would just be far too much of a gamble. And maybe the firm I will end up in will train from within. That is how it works, right? In regards to the CILEx route.

I'm just wondering if having the wrong number on the end of my degree will hold me back massively though, even if I get a commendation/distinction on the GDL and a good amount of work experience. Is competition for paralegals just as bad as TCs and pupillage?

From experience of speaking with people who have gone down that route, it's not as competitive but there's still too many graduates for the jobs on offer. A mentor I had last year got in this way, however she studied the LPC part time and paid for it herself because the firm that offered her the TC couldn't afford to pay for the LPC and run the risk that she'd bugger off after she trained.

Sometimes you have to take a bit of a gamble to get where you want to be. At the end of the day it's a number on a piece of paper and it's never that alone that's going to get you a job or lose you one for that matter.
Are your A-levels at least AAB? If not then I'm anything less than a 2.1 and/or AAB at A-level will make this massively difficult when trying to secure a pupillage because there are plenty of people with 1sts and AAA who want to get into Law. I'm not saying it's impossible - but it will be a struggle. How much you're willing to struggle depends how badly you want to be a solicitor/barrister. Also, the kind of jobs you'd be going after with un-competitive qualifications wouldn't exactly be worth the amount of effort for the salary.

Have you thought about the Civil Service and government roles? You would get a lot more salary for your effort compared to Law and you'd use a lot of the same skills - you just have to ace the entrance tests but that's achievable.

It's worth looking into and if things haven't changed too much from when I graduated a few years back then central departments, Houses of Parliament and Human Resources (as well as some others) accept a 2.2 without any post-grad degree to make up for it.
Original post by KatieBlogger
Are your A-levels at least AAB? If not then I'm anything less than a 2.1 and/or AAB at A-level will make this massively difficult when trying to secure a pupillage because there are plenty of people with 1sts and AAA who want to get into Law. I'm not saying it's impossible - but it will be a struggle. How much you're willing to struggle depends how badly you want to be a solicitor/barrister. Also, the kind of jobs you'd be going after with un-competitive qualifications wouldn't exactly be worth the amount of effort for the salary.

Have you thought about the Civil Service and government roles? You would get a lot more salary for your effort compared to Law and you'd use a lot of the same skills - you just have to ace the entrance tests but that's achievable.

It's worth looking into and if things haven't changed too much from when I graduated a few years back then central departments, Houses of Parliament and Human Resources (as well as some others) accept a 2.2 without any post-grad degree to make up for it.

Got ABB... and As and Bs in GCSEs. And I'm not looking to be a sol/barrister, looking into the CILEx route which tbhonest looks like it makes way, way more sense even if I did have the academic credentials.

How are you going to get a job as a paralegal when you havent studied any law?
You mean after the GDL?
Depending where you are , then lots of agencies require paralegals to have the LPC.

Im not one to say dont try, but it wiill be a severe impediment. It depends how hard you try and where you set your sights. II can just see a lot of grief and frustration for you. If you wnat to be a barrister, then you are going to have to dishuise that from any firm of solicitors. Paralegaling cna be a complete dead end for many people and dull. Just a warning.
Original post by 999tigger
How are you going to get a job as a paralegal when you havent studied any law?
You mean after the GDL?
Depending where you are , then lots of agencies require paralegals to have the LPC.

Im not one to say dont try, but it wiill be a severe impediment. It depends how hard you try and where you set your sights. II can just see a lot of grief and frustration for you. If you wnat to be a barrister, then you are going to have to dishuise that from any firm of solicitors. Paralegaling cna be a complete dead end for many people and dull. Just a warning.

I'm in Yorkshire/Humberside, all the places I've been looking at do not require you to have completed the LPC but having done a law undergrad or the GDL will help. Ithought it was only the huge firms in London like Slaughter and May that want their paralegals to be fully qualified lawyers.
I'm in Yorkshire/Humberside, all the places I've been looking at do not require you to have completed the LPC but having done a law undergrad or the GDL will help. Ithought it was only the huge firms in London like Slaughter and May that want their paralegals to be fully qualified lawyers.

Try it and see. Build a thick skin.
Reply 28

I'm from Lancashire and go to uni in Yorkshire. Although it's not always expressed, having an LLB or a GDL and an LPC is the norm now for paralegals. Like I mentioned before, a lot of smaller firms train from within so want potential candidates to be ready to train in a relatively short period of time meaning that you need the necessary qualifications.

You can by all means have a go, but this is why I'm stressing so much that you need to show motivation and drive rather than "well I didn't do great academically and this seemed like the most viable option"
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok should I just give this all up? I am serious.

I need an average of 5.90 for a 2.i, but my overall mark is 5.89. They decided not to bump my grade up. I'm appealing it but I doubt it will ever work.

There's no way to fund this now, as with a 2.ii I do cannot access scholarships.

No matter how hard I work on the course and how much work experience I get, employers will see the 2.ii and bin my application.

Alternatively, resit my 2nd year? As that's the year where it all went wrong, and despite working hard in my final year it apparently wasn't enough to make things right.

I just don't see the point now, with a 2.ii I can't do anything in law and I certainly won't have access to any scholarships.

Out of interest, how did you get on? I'm considering the GDL and got a low 2.1 in Music at Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending