The Student Room Group

Tailoring your own shirts

Hey all, Im starting my first job in late august and i've been out and bought a range of new shirts and trousers. The shirts are a little too baggy in places as I am rather slender. Im thinking about tailoring them myself. Does anybody have any experience doing this themselves?
Im thinking that i will practise first on an old shirt and then go ahead with my new ones. Im sure if i just take my time it cant be too hard can it?
Original post by Bern Herkins
Hey all, Im starting my first job in late august and i've been out and bought a range of new shirts and trousers. The shirts are a little too baggy in places as I am rather slender. Im thinking about tailoring them myself. Does anybody have any experience doing this themselves?
Im thinking that i will practise first on an old shirt and then go ahead with my new ones. Im sure if i just take my time it cant be too hard can it?

Shirts are not the easiest to alter, especially if you don't have much experience sewing, and it can be glaringly obvious if they are messy or uneven, especially in light colours. It is possible, by all means, but not easy for beginners. If the shoulders or collars don't fit then it's don't really possible to get a professional finish. Taking your shirt in at the side seams is pretty straightforward as long as you have a seam ripper and sewing machine, and you make sure that it is even and the buttons don't pull.*
Reply 2
If you haven't had any experience I wouldn't recommend it. It takes months, perhaps years, to learn to sew neatly and correctly. I have been sewing/dressmaking since I was about 13 (I'm 22 now) and although I do alter my own clothes sometimes there are some items which I would not dare to touch. Have a tailor alter your clothes or use temporary fixes such as safety pins and belts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest