The Student Room Group

Non qualifying law degree. What to do next?

In my final year I deferred one exam and decided to carry on with the other regardless of having a panic attack.

I re studied my Equity exam this year and failed again, meaning it is my 4th and final chance to re sit this exam in 2 weeks. I also failed my EU exam which would make it a re-study and my 3rd attempt.

4th attempt at Equity means I won't be getting a qualifying law degree and that makes me think, is there any in even carrying on? Will I even be allowed at the graduatation ceremony even if its non qualifying? Could I still take the para legal route without doing the GDL Course?

I've already decided I will not being doing the GDL Course because I can't deal with exams due to my anxiety.

If there's any advice you could give me, it would honestly be appreciated.
Original post by namra.
In my final year I deferred one exam and decided to carry on with the other regardless of having a panic attack.

I re studied my Equity exam this year and failed again, meaning it is my 4th and final chance to re sit this exam in 2 weeks. I also failed my EU exam which would make it a re-study and my 3rd attempt.

4th attempt at Equity means I won't be getting a qualifying law degree and that makes me think, is there any in even carrying on? Will I even be allowed at the graduatation ceremony even if its non qualifying? Could I still take the para legal route without doing the GDL Course?

I've already decided I will not being doing the GDL Course because I can't deal with exams due to my anxiety.

If there's any advice you could give me, it would honestly be appreciated.

I believe it would be possible for you to follow the ILEX route and qualify that way, but you would probably have to start from the very bottom of it because your degree won't allow you to skip stages if it is not a QLD. I think ILEX has exams in it, so you will need to consider carefully if it is the right route for you.
Sounds like CILEx is for you.
I have been in a similar situation and due to failing a first year module and only getting 38% in it overall, my LLB changed to a non-qualifying law degree and due to anxiety in my final year, I am having to resit the equity coursework and exam again too.

I understand that it is thoroughly disheartening, especially when at the time, it was due to other external and extenuating circumstances and you are not aware of the harsh implications of this.

Of course you will be allowed at the graduating ceremony as you are still getting a degree when you qualify!

And it is true, if you wish to continue on into the legal sector then the ILEX route is the best (albeit slightly longer way due to the non-LLB) to qualify as a solicitor.

However there are also other routes.

You could apply for jobs in a law firm which are junior or administrative roles, and hopefully once you get the job and make a name for yourself within the firm, some are even willing to sponsor you for further study or you can study at the same time as working and gaining experience.

Many firms also take on LLB and non-qualifying graduates on their grad schemes for training purposes and upon (hopefully) getting an interview, you can explain the circumstances under which it resulted in not being a qualified degree.
As they still take non-qualifying graduates on, and appreciate honesty, I'm sure that this should not hinder your chances in comparison to others too much!

Lastly, you may find it easier or harder depending on the overall degree classification that you get, for instance if you get a 1st or a 2:1 then these routes and success will be easier for you in comparison to if you get a 2:2 or a 3rd. Again, I understand the anxiety that comes with the level of study for law and some times a 2:1 seems out of reach. However, an overall classification of 2:2 is not the end of the world!

Do some research online into statistics for those who did get a certain classification and their success rates in things such as getting training contracts etc from official websites.

Further, you could make appointments with recruitment agencies and speak to them about your circumstances and wishes for the future. In doing so you will personalise their preference to you and keep you in mind for when certain jobs do become available which they will be able to thoroughly recommend and 'sell' you for to help aid the terms of your CV.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending