The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Interview foundation level 3 art and design!?!

Hi everyone, i applied for this university to do an animation and illustration course but instead they offered me an interview in a few days time for a foundation year in art and design. but i only found out today that its a Level 3 BTEC foundation year instead of doing a Level 4 foundation year!! i just came from doing a Level 3 in animation and games design and im not sure about going to this university... but im still going to head to the interview, though i have already got a conditional offer in Computer science in another university.

does anyone have any opinion when it comes to the art and design in Coventry University?
Original post by kasumikat
Hi everyone, i applied for this university to do an animation and illustration course but instead they offered me an interview in a few days time for a foundation year in art and design. but i only found out today that its a Level 3 BTEC foundation year instead of doing a Level 4 foundation year!! i just came from doing a Level 3 in animation and games design and im not sure about going to this university... but im still going to head to the interview, though i have already got a conditional offer in Computer science in another university.

does anyone have any opinion when it comes to the art and design in Coventry University?

Hey there,
I'm not an expert about Conventry but I'm just wondering if you wanted to do animation as a back up? or is it really what you want to do? Foundation could be a good choice if you're still unsure on what course you want to do but if you're already convince that you want to do animation then maybe you could look for university that could possibly offer you an animation degree.

Have you heard of Ravensbourne? We are in London and next to the O2 arena.

Check our BA Animation course! 3 years duration and the requirements you need is all in the website! Also other Ravensbourne courses you might be interested in! To see it for yourself come and visit us so you can talk and meet current students and tutors Register here for the Open day!

Hope this helps,Ahlia :biggrin:
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
I just finished the Illustration and Animation course at Coventry, having done the Foundation Course there too.

Find somewhere else.

This uni's admin is a joke, and the foundation course will not help you at all. The foundation course is pretty much a fine art course. You are actively discouraged from focussing on wheat you want to do.

As for the degree course itself, it won't help you one bit for getting into games. It's based around doing 2D animation, drawn frame by frame. And to be perfectly honest, they don't really teach you all that much. Pick up a copy of The Animator's Survival Guide, and learn that it's okay to take short cuts and that photoshop is just a tool, not a hack. You will have everything the main tutors will ever give you.

Other than one module in second year, the entire course can be learnt by looking through a couple of books and having the determination to practice really ****ing hard. The tutors literally tell you that your three year twenty seven thousand pound course is worth this bit of advice: "Do good work and show the right people". It's an absolute disgrace.

You were told that the tutors are practicing professionals. This means they focus on their own work and look on you as more of a distraction sometimes. Yes, you can speak to them pretty much any time. That's one good thing. But it's advice from people who cannot make it in the industry, so picked up a tutors job to pay the bills. They will not teach you.

If you want to learn, go to an art school, or get an apprenticeship. If you want to have the time to practice, go to Coventry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending