The Student Room Group

Poll: Acne - the latest "beauty craze" on the catwalk. Empowering or offensive?

This poll is closed

Acne - the latest "beauty craze" on the catwalk. Empowering or offensive?

Empowering 0%
Offensive100%
Total votes: 2
Recently at Milan's Men's Fashion Week, models took to the catwalk with blemishes and spots. Acne was portrayed as part of a ‘nerdy’ theme. It's not clear whether the models were actually suffering with a skin condition or whether the look was created using cosmetics.

Many fashion sites reported on the runway show, calling acne ‘the latest beauty craze’ and a ‘trend’. They then went on to encourage readers not to wash their faces, ‘because zits are cool now’.

Do you find it empowering that someone with uncovered acne would walk down a high end runway? Or do you find that it is offensive and reinforces negative stereotypes about the reality of acne?

Please participate in the poll. Discussion is warmly welcomed!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
go away
Doesn't matter if the fashion sites are calling it "the latest beauty craze", because it never will be. If we're assuming any level of objective beauty exists, (which is obviously does) acne is as far close to being objectively unappealing as possible.
:confused::confused: Has fashion run out of trends or something?

In a way it could make people with acne feel more confident about themselves (although I'm not sure it would if the acne is just makeup)

But encouraging readers to get acne? That's just ridiculous, acne can be painful and also lead to scarring and using it as a fashion trend just doesn't make sense to me

(it's also kind of offensive using it in a 'nerdy' theme too)
Reply 4
What kinda message are they trying to give out? I mean, acne is OK - it doesn't make you any less human - but it's not something anyone would want to have.

Edit: When I saw "Acne" in the title I thought of Acne Studios, the clothing brand. I quite like them. 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If they have real acne and choose to catwalk with no makeup and be bold enough to swag it on ze stage
I respect them and find it "empowering" or whteva :wink:
If they don't then personally I feel that they are taking the mick out of a skin condition that many face of different ages/sexes which really digs into their self esteem/confidence and stuff and quite rightedly I would not b a happi Cheeselet :colonhash:

Spoiler

Original post by Madame Skin
They then went on to encourage readers not to wash their faces, ‘because zits are cool now’.

Are they suggesting that they think that people with acne are simply not washing their faces?
Original post by Tabstercat
Doesn't matter if the fashion sites are calling it "the latest beauty craze", because it never will be. If we're assuming any level of objective beauty exists, (which is obviously does) acne is as far close to being objectively unappealing as possible.

This
*brofists*

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
:confused::confused: Has fashion run out of trends or something?

In a way it could make people with acne feel more confident about themselves (although I'm not sure it would if the acne is just makeup)

But encouraging readers to get acne? That's just ridiculous, acne can be painful and also lead to scarring and using it as a fashion trend just doesn't make sense to me

(it's also kind of offensive using it in a 'nerdy' theme too)

this made me :rofl:
"nerdy" theme
:colonhash: jc 2 problems 2 stereotypes in 1 OP

Spoiler

ALSO
I love how every1 on TSR has rushed to vote on this superb poll

Spoiler

Original post by Smack
Are they suggesting that they think that people with acne are simply not washing their faces?

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh
Good point
They could be
:shakecane:
Isn't acne sort of genetically related and to do with your skin type, diet, my GP said it wasn't directly stress related

Spoiler

Original post by Smack

Yes, this seems to be what they are implying. However it is a myth that acne is linked to "poor hygiene".

Acne is most commonly linked to the changes in hormone levels during puberty, but it can actually start at any age. Certain hormones cause the grease-producing glands next to hair follicles in the skin to produce larger amounts of oil (abnormal sebum). This abnormal sebum changes the activity of a usually harmless skin bacterium called " P. acnes" , which becomes more aggressive and causes inflammation and pus.

Hormones also thicken the inner lining of the hair follicle, causing blockage of the pores (opening of the hair follicles). Cleaning the skin doesn't help to remove this blockage hence the reason why it is myth that acne and hygiene are linked.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
oooooooooooooooooooooooooh
Good point
They could be
:shakecane:
Isn't acne sort of genetically related and to do with your skin type, diet, my GP said it wasn't directly stress related

Spoiler

Yes, thats right - it's genetic. It's also linked to hormonal changes, such as those that occur during the menstrual cycle or pregnancy.

Apparently there's no evidence that diet, poor hygiene or sexual activity play a role in acne. The link between diet and acne was widely disputed many years ago but recent evidence suggests that foods with a lower glycemic index don't raise blood sugar as much and in those study participants that had acne, their acne improved.

There is still more research needed though. Vegetables contain antioxidants and these help with inflammation as do food rich in omega 3's (salmon , mackerel). The link between dairy and acne is still to be proven.

Stress also leads to hormone fluctuations - these cause an increase in the amount of oil your skin secretes, which can cause acne to form or worsen.

Ultimately, skin is an outward reflection of your inner health....
Original post by Madame Skin
Yes, thats right - it's genetic. It's also linked to hormonal changes, such as those that occur during the menstrual cycle or pregnancy.

Apparently there's no evidence that diet, poor hygiene or sexual activity play a role in acne. The link between diet and acne was widely disputed many years ago but recent evidence suggests that foods with a lower glycemic index don't raise blood sugar as much and in those study participants that had acne, their acne improved.

There is still more research needed though. Vegetables contain antioxidants and these help with inflammation as do food rich in omega 3's (salmon , mackerel). The link between dairy and acne is still to be proven.

Stress also leads to hormone fluctuations - these cause an increase in the amount of oil your skin secretes, which can cause acne to form or worsen.

Ultimately, skin is an outward reflection of your inner health....

wow
so much info
Very interesting :yep: I agree
So this is sort-of confirming the statement made earlier

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest