Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Business (Management) HND distance learning - looking for advice and experiences

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi folks

I'm a 37 year old male in full time employment and I'm considering taking a distance learning course, probably at HNC, then HND level. I'm just wondering whether there are any others like me who have gone through such a process and what their experiences were.

I have 9 GCSE's and 4 A-levels, but although I went to uni at 18 to study astrophysics I unfortunately didn't enjoy uni life and ended up dropping out with depression at the start of year 2. I've basically worked ever since and for the past 14 years I've been a technical manager for a company that sells digital printing equipment to businesses. I earn a good wage, but have done absolutely nothing since to further my education. No courses, certificates, nothing. I am starting to feel now that to progress further I need to get some qualifications, especially since my employers are nearing that time in their lives when they are starting to think about retiring or stepping back a bit and I'd like to be able to step up and take more of an active role in the running of the place.My main issue here is that although I know plenty about "the business", I know nothing about "running a business". So, I've been looking at possibilities for business courses that I could take.

Having browsed the web for a while, one course that is standing out is a BTEC level 5 HND in Business and Management with RDI. It lasts 2 years, involves 8-10 hours of study a week and looks feasible in terms of costs.Does anybody have anyhing to add in terms of experiences in distance learning, fitting it around real life (I have a young family and work full time). I'm just interested in hearing opinions and getting advice really.

many thanks

Hi Graham,

I have recently finished a course via distance learning while working fulltime. Well, it's tough as you come home tired and still need to study. Obviously you have to be disciplined in order to finish everything on time. Check if they offer online lectures, guidance etc. that will make it easier for you to plan your weekly study hours. Instead of watching tv you will be studying.. If you are motivated, I definitely recommend distance learning. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.