The Student Room Group

AS Level Advice

I've finished my GCSE's and I am studying maths, english literature, accounting, general studies and business and economics. Have any year 12/13 (or older) got any advice for people starting their AS's in September? How much time would you spend revising each subject each week? What revision techniques worked for you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
You shouldn't be "revising" in September.

Going through content, doing a few questions here and there - yes. Not revision though. You should be learning, not knowing. Don't expect yourself to regurgitate everything so early on, leave that to the horrific months of Spring 2017.
Original post by jamestg
You shouldn't be "revising" in September.

Going through content, doing a few questions here and there - yes. Not revision though. You should be learning, not knowing. Don't expect yourself to regurgitate everything so early on, leave that to the horrific months of Spring 2017.

Thanks for the advice! How much time did you spend revising in Spring?
Reply 3
Original post by futurematters
Thanks for the advice! How much time did you spend revising in Spring?

A lot :smile:

Probably wasn't worth it though lmao
Original post by jamestg
A lot :smile:

Probably wasn't worth it though lmao

Haha! Good luck on results day.
Reply 5
Haha! Good luck on results day.

Thanks! Good luck to you too!
I've finished my GCSE's and I am studying maths, english literature, accounting, general studies and business and economics. Have any year 12/13 (or older) got any advice for people starting their AS's in September? How much time would you spend revising each subject each week? What revision techniques worked for you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't rely on teachers- they get things wrong a lot of the time :') Print out the specifications for your subjects at the beginning of the year and make sure you cover everything in class- if not, teach yourself! Make condensed notes early on rather than in Easter/ around the exam season. So when you finish a sub topic in class, make revision cards/ posters- it really saves time for around the exam season and is also a method of revision!

For the more essay based subjects, try to recap information regularly so you won't forget it (that was the hardest part for me)

Having said all of that, don't stress yourself too much! Enjoy life :smile:
Original post by musicisellipsis
Don't rely on teachers- they get things wrong a lot of the time :':wink: Print out the specifications for your subjects at the beginning of the year and make sure you cover everything in class- if not, teach yourself! Make condensed notes early on rather than in Easter/ around the exam season. So when you finish a sub topic in class, make revision cards/ posters- it really saves time for around the exam season and is also a method of revision!

For the more essay based subjects, try to recap information regularly so you won't forget it (that was the hardest part for me)

Having said all of that, don't stress yourself too much! Enjoy life :smile:

AMAZING! Thanks for your help, I'll definitley be making notes from the start. Very useful.
AMAZING! Thanks for your help, I'll definitley be making notes from the start. Very useful.

You're welcome! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest