The Student Room Group

My Course Has Nothing To Do With My Future

I am worried, because when I chose to go to uni, I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I picked a course I thought I would enjoy. It turns out I do not really enjoy it, but I get through it. What worried me, is that I am not gonna be happy about graduation after final year, it will not mean anything to me. I do not want a computing degree, because I will never use it.

I liked computers until I started studying it. I do not enjoy the course and do not want to work in a computing environment. I do not want to work on a computer. I want to be involved in psychology, it has been an interest for a long time, but not really something I thought about studying. I have seen the psychiatry place at uni and it looks really good, its what I should have chosen.

So basically, my degree has been a waste of time and money and I am never gonna use it. I would have been far better studying something else...i'm upset
You would, however, have some useful trasnferrable skills.

What do you now plan on doing after you graduate? You can't get funding for another degree.
Original post by DocWho49
I am worried, because when I chose to go to uni, I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I picked a course I thought I would enjoy. It turns out I do not really enjoy it, but I get through it. What worried me, is that I am not gonna be happy about graduation after final year, it will not mean anything to me. I do not want a computing degree, because I will never use it.

I liked computers until I started studying it. I do not enjoy the course and do not want to work in a computing environment. I do not want to work on a computer. I want to be involved in psychology, it has been an interest for a long time, but not really something I thought about studying. I have seen the psychiatry place at uni and it looks really good, its what I should have chosen.

So basically, my degree has been a waste of time and money and I am never gonna use it. I would have been far better studying something else...i'm upset

Basically - a degree in computing is never wasted. However a degree in psychology is less useful. Are you talking about going into mental health nursing?
Aubrey de Grey studied computer science and now works in the area of 'living forever'.. :biggrin:

[video="youtube;YdG32aOlFl0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdG32aOlFl0[/video]

If you are having difficulties in understanding your vision of your future then I would recommend chilling out and relaxing and going travelling and seeing the world and thinking how you can make a difference and hopefully you will return, more mature, more developed, more capable and inspired to do something.

Along the lines of computer science I would think about robotics and how this will impact society in 20 years time when robots are doing our work, when they are driving our cars and serving at a restaurant etc.

There really is so much you can do with computing in this day and age, it is like being an engineer in the heart of the industrial revolution, be optimistic and positive! :smile:
Switch to CompSci and do as many AI modules as possible? That's got a lot of psychology and neuroscience content.

There's only a handful of areas of work related to psychology or psychiatry alone, and there's probably more jobs for people with knowledge of AI now than knowledge of psychology.

Is there the possibility of paying for a psychology degree afterwards?

you can do a psychology conversion course masters. Plus from september 2016, you can get 10000 pounds government loan for postgraduate degree.
I liked psychology till I started studying it, I quit fields.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending