The Student Room Group

Not sure which route to take?

I'm currently in year 10 and am unsure of which a-level subjects I should take, especially as I have two career paths in mind that do not overlap- I need to decide one or the other.

The subjects I am naturally very good at are essay-based subjects such as History (working at A/A*) and English (new system level 8, equivalent to A*) which prepares me well for a career in Law. I thought that my four subjects would be English Lit, History, Biology and Government & Politics.

For a while I was interested in it but recently I have been thinking I would like to study Earth Sciences because I love weather, rocks, volcanoes and glaciers, they are so interesting and I also love hiking, swimming, climbing and sports so am equally a very practical person also. This means I would need to study Maths (minimum B predicted A), Chemistry (probably A), Physics (got an A in my mock) and Biology (predicted minimum A) or Geography, which I enjoy and am very good at but didn't take at GCSE. I am unsure because I can't study the first ones and be a Geologist and I can't study the sciences and become a lawyer (unless I do a graduate diploma in law and that means it counts as a bachelors).

Can anyone offer advice on which to choose? How difficult are the sciences and maths? I don't want to endure a tedious and strenuous two years at college, I also want to pick the best subjects to study either a law degree or an Earth Science (Geology/volcanology/glaciology type potentially). Thanks.
Original post by Adaytoremember
I'm currently in year 10 and am unsure of which a-level subjects I should take, especially as I have two career paths in mind that do not overlap- I need to decide one or the other.

The subjects I am naturally very good at are essay-based subjects such as History (working at A/A*) and English (new system level 8, equivalent to A*) which prepares me well for a career in Law. I thought that my four subjects would be English Lit, History, Biology and Government & Politics.

For a while I was interested in it but recently I have been thinking I would like to study Earth Sciences because I love weather, rocks, volcanoes and glaciers, they are so interesting and I also love hiking, swimming, climbing and sports so am equally a very practical person also. This means I would need to study Maths (minimum B predicted A), Chemistry (probably A), Physics (got an A in my mock) and Biology (predicted minimum A) or Geography, which I enjoy and am very good at but didn't take at GCSE. I am unsure because I can't study the first ones and be a Geologist and I can't study the sciences and become a lawyer (unless I do a graduate diploma in law and that means it counts as a bachelors).

Can anyone offer advice on which to choose? How difficult are the sciences and maths? I don't want to endure a tedious and strenuous two years at college, I also want to pick the best subjects to study either a law degree or an Earth Science (Geology/volcanology/glaciology type potentially). Thanks.

Hi! I don't know much about Law, but I do know about Earth Sciences (I'm starting a Geoscience degree this September actually!). You don't need to study all 3 sciences and maths at A Level to get onto an Earth Science degree, one or two would be sufficient for most courses! I didn't take any of the traditional sciences at A Level, I took Geology, Geography and ICT instead, and I still got offers from all of the universities I applied to, including Liverpool and UCL.

It's a bit early at this stage to know what you want to do, so perhaps look at taking a mixture of sciences and humanities to keep your options open? For example History, English Literature, Maths, and one of Biology/Chemistry/Physics. The History, English Literature and Maths would suit Law, and History, Maths and Biology/Chemistry/Physics would be fine for Earth Science.

I hope that made sense! :smile:
Reply 2

Hey there, you get 3 years of free a-level equivalent education.
Why not go with the earth sciences? It seems like there's a wider array of things to learn, I mean, who wouldn't want to learn about the world?
If you don't like it after the first year, you could switch to the other career choice, and re-start A-levels, or even do a diploma.
Either way, just go with your instinct, and if you have regrets, don't worry too much, it doesn't mean you can't go with the other option!

You don't really need to study all the sciences to do an earth science or geology degree. Doing 2 of them would be fine like either maths and physics or maths and chemistry.

You could do A levels in english, law, maths and either physics or chemistry .

Since you didn't post about doing an law A level, I'm going to assume the college don't provide one. If that's the case you could do A levels in English, history, maths and either physics or chemistry.

That should be enough for you purse either careers tbh

Also physics and chemistry A levels are one of the hardest A levels there is. You will have study hard just to get a decent grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grimm Reaper
You don't really need to study all the sciences to do an earth science or geology degree. Doing 2 of them would be fine like either maths and physics or maths and chemistry.

You could do A levels in english, law, maths and either physics or chemistry .

Since you didn't post about doing an law A level, I'm going to assume the college don't provide one. If that's the case you could do A levels in English, history, maths and either physics or chemistry.

That should be enough for you purse either careers tbh

Also physics and chemistry A levels are one of the hardest A levels there is. You will have study hard just to get a decent grade.

Definatley some points to consider here, and my college offers both A- level and btec Law. I actually had a taster session at college today and I thought that the subject is okay but again I think i'm slightly more suited to the outdoors, also the types of people which take law at college seem to be either unacademic or badly behaved which I'm not keen on.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi! I don't know much about Law, but I do know about Earth Sciences (I'm starting a Geoscience degree this September actually!). You don't need to study all 3 sciences and maths at A Level to get onto an Earth Science degree, one or two would be sufficient for most courses! I didn't take any of the traditional sciences at A Level, I took Geology, Geography and ICT instead, and I still got offers from all of the universities I applied to, including Liverpool and UCL.

It's a bit early at this stage to know what you want to do, so perhaps look at taking a mixture of sciences and humanities to keep your options open? For example History, English Literature, Maths, and one of Biology/Chemistry/Physics. The History, English Literature and Maths would suit Law, and History, Maths and Biology/Chemistry/Physics would be fine for Earth Science.

I hope that made sense! :smile:

I'm almost certain that I will take biology because I really enjoy that subject, and I will take either one of the humanities although I am swaying towards geography more. I know that universities almost all want maths and some want chemistry or physics as a second subject, in retrospect I should have taken them as taster subjects because I could try to gage their difficulty, I think i'll need to see how my next two sets of mocks go.
Original post by omfgalib
Hey there, you get 3 years of free a-level equivalent education.
Why not go with the earth sciences? It seems like there's a wider array of things to learn, I mean, who wouldn't want to learn about the world?
If you don't like it after the first year, you could switch to the other career choice, and re-start A-levels, or even do a diploma.
Either way, just go with your instinct, and if you have regrets, don't worry too much, it doesn't mean you can't go with the other option!

At this point I am thinking earth science is the way to go, if not I know I can do the GDL. Even if I don't enjoy the sciences at college I know that they're not specific to one area of earth science and I'm sure I will find something I enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest